• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

Pressure problems with wolf gold 120 MPT ammo

Anyone here have issues with the 120gr wolf gold MPT ammo, the manufacturer of my barrel was test firing it with that ammo and having pressure signs, but not with hornady ammo?
    the chamber is a .264LBC btw.

What pressure signs? Could be over gassed and not a true sign of over pressure?

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
      Warrior
      • May 2011

pierced primers/flattened primers, ejector marks on the brass.

Comment

• StoneTower

Can you eject a loaded round easily? When I first started loading for the Grendel, I was loading COAL to what the data said. Some of the rounds were long enough that they were jamming into the lands on my CSS barrel. Depending on how the chamber is cut, you may need to seat the bullets deeper even though it is a factory round.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
          Warrior
          • May 2011

nope I could extract loaded rounds fine

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

I have never heard of anyone having pierced primers with Wolf ammo. It's decent velocity, but by no means loaded hot.

Have you talked with whoever built the rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by toolsofthetrade View Post
              Anyone here have issues with the 120gr wolf gold MPT ammo, the manufacturer of my barrel was test firing it with that ammo and having pressure signs, but not with hornady ammo?
              the chamber is a .264LBC btw.
              To see pressure signs with the Wolf and not the Hornady leads me to look at the main differences between those two types of brass: primer size... (large rifle primer for Wolf=less brass mass to resist molten state from heat)

However, the Wolf are normally loaded to moderate pressures and should not produce pressure signs, so I'm also thinking about the Wolf MPT jacket thickness and your chamber dimensions.

Explanation: If the Wolf MPT jackets are thin, and/or the chamber dimensions are abrupt from the leade into the rifling, there could be residual jacket ring buildup, as happened with the differences in 6.8 SPC chambers with a mistaken 80 degree angle on some barrels that caused major Kaboom with large-rifle primed ammunition. You'll need to have someone that is competent bore-scope your throat and leade to rule that out.

Are there any pressure signs after shooting Wolf, then with Hornady without cleaning? Are there any escharred (black soot) marks around the primers?

Also, what is your barrel length and gas system length? Buffer type, weight, and recoil spring type? Bolt carrier weight?

LRRPF52
              Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                Warrior
                • May 2011

Ill try to get the specific weights and let you know, it is a 20" bbl with a standard rifle lenght gas system, a2 stocl, buffer, and spring, I. Won't know the ansers to the rest until I get it back from the manufacturer.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                  Warrior
                  • May 2011

Sorry for the typos, sending from my phone

Comment

Heck I was using 28.5 grains of TAC in wolf and no problems with pressure

Comment

• pinzgauer
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      To see pressure signs with the Wolf and not the Hornady leads me to look at the main differences between those two types of brass: primer size... (large rifle primer for Wolf=less brass mass to resist molten state from heat)
                      Given many are reloading Wolf and IMI 7.62x39 brass with large primers without issues makes me pretty sure that's not the issue. :-) Maybe looser primer pockets after 5-10 reloads, but that's not the issue here.

Given it's another non-standard throat/chamber my #1 suspect would be COAL, with the different bullet type jamming the bullet into the lands. Do you see rifling signs on an ejected unfired round?

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                        Given many are reloading Wolf and IMI 7.62x39 brass with large primers without issues makes me pretty sure that's not the issue. :-) Maybe looser primer pockets after 5-10 reloads, but that's not the issue here.

Given it's another non-standard throat/chamber my #1 suspect would be COAL, with the different bullet type jamming the bullet into the lands. Do you see rifling signs on an ejected unfired round?
                        I agree. There should not be any pressure signs with Wolf, but it is interesting that there were none with the Hornady. Something else is going on enough to manifest the pressure with the Wolf brass, which points to chamber dimensions in the throat/leade area.

We know that the main difference in .264 LBC and a Grendel chamber is the compound throat...where .264 LBC doesn't have it, and the Grendel does. Wasn't the .264 LBC geared more for the Hornady 123 Amax or something like that? I remember this discussion from the forum before it was trashed, so I can't look it up.

LRRPF52
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Yes, as has been discussed many places, Les Baer supposedly optimized his chamber for the 123 Amax, and I agree that is probably the culprit here.

Comment

Yet after this past weekend I do not see how the LBC chamber can actually make the grendel shoot any better.

Geez one guy had his brand spanking new rifle out, it was shooting less than half MOA with Hornady factory 123 AMAX.

It does not get better than that in reality.

That rifle only had 5 rounds through it before zeroing and shooting tight groups

Comment

JUst found this thread:

I,too, have wondered about pressure issues with the Wolf Ammo as I was experiencing about 10% of the cases would blow the primers out of the back of the case when fired. After looking over about a 100+ wolf cases after I shot them, the remaining cases don't look like there are pressure signs on the primers.

In following up with it, I spoke to Bill Alexander for about an hour last week. He explained that my Wolf ammo was probably an older lot, and that there were problems with proper case hardness in early wolf ammo. I also mentioned that I had heavy ejector marking on my wolf cases, too. Again,Bill wasn't too worried and told me to try some other ammo to see if I had any other issues. He was pretty confident that I wouldn't have any issues with the newer wolf ammo or the hornady Amax ammo. So, I ordered some factory loaded hornady 123 Amax to try out.

Comment

Working...
                              X