120 Amax in BOLT gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 Amax in BOLT gun?

Hey guys, I just picked up a box of 120amax. I was tempted by the 25% savings (compared to 123's) But now I am having second thoughts.
    I just figured I would ask those who know before loading them. (I can exchange them.) ((Yes this does pretty clearly show just how tight my Moolah is.))

I guess what I am really asking is: Does anyone know how much deeper the 120's must be sat, compared to the 123's? I normally jam.
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

In my AA chambers the bullets had to be seated so deep I was heavily compressing the 2520 loads. Compressing to the point of deforming the bullet tip!!!

Your chamber may vary, but I just did not find them worth the trouble and reduced loads. The 123's just shoot so much better.

I used up the remainder of mine in fireforming with very significantly reduced loads.

Comment

UNfortunately you wasted your money.

Those are meant for larger cased 6.5 cartridges such as 6.5x55 and .260rem

Comment

The heavier bullet is shorter?

Comment

• gophernuts

That is correct.

Comment

• pinzgauer
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

the Ogive shape is the real issue, it's a shorter/fatter ogive, so has to be seated deeper

Comment

I'm not sure they will give me any trouble. I normally load the 123's to 2.355" while the 120's fit in at 2.280" They only load (about) .030" shorter than the Nosler 120 B-Tips. The Noslers Are a shorter bullet though. I think my normal load of 31 grains of 2520 Is compressed, but not drastically so. ((ONLY BOLT-GUNS PLEASE)) I hope they are reasonably accurate, though after checking the prices at other dealers I see what I saved on this box Won't be what I save in the future; SO really there isn't much need to buy them. It is a bother because I am really trying to settle in on a load. I thought the B-Tips were it untill I did some reading and found them to be only marginally more reliable on live targets than the A-max. I guess after this box is gone,,,and the 120B-tips,,,,AND the 120Mkings I will try to settle down with 123 Amax. Of course there is still 123 Scenar (awfully pricey) and 123 MKings (Almost as bad!) to try.

By the time I get this thing settled on a load I'll need A new barrel!!!!

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Vassal View Post
                I'm not sure they will give me any trouble. I normally load the 123's to 2.355" while the 120's fit in at 2.280" They only load (about) .030" shorter than the Nosler 120 B-Tips. The Noslers Are a shorter bullet though. I think my normal load of 31 grains of 2520 Is compressed, but not drastically so. ((ONLY BOLT-GUNS PLEASE)) I hope they are reasonably accurate, though after checking the prices at other dealers I see what I saved on this box Won't be what I save in the future; SO really there isn't much need to buy them. It is a bother because I am really trying to settle in on a load. I thought the B-Tips were it untill I did some reading and found them to be only marginally more reliable on live targets than the A-max. I guess after this box is gone,,,and the 120B-tips,,,,AND the 120Mkings I will try to settle down with 123 Amax. Of course there is still 123 Scenar (awfully pricey) and 123 MKings (Almost as bad!) to try.

By the time I get this thing settled on a load I'll need A new barrel!!!!
                Well, unless it takes you 5000 rounds to get there, you should be fine! lol!

If you really want a best effect hunting load, then shoot Barnes. But the 120 BT's work great on any thin skinned game in North America, with Elk the possible exception.

The best all around bullet is probably a tossup between the 120 Nosler BT and the 123 AMAX. Both are accurate out to any reasonable Grendel distance.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

The 123 amax is the best thing out there imho. Ok for hunting, great BC, and decent price, and they're accurate.

I initially settled on 120 smks, but performance at longer ranges was lacking. My new loads with the 123 amax are a great improvement. Much easier to ger shooting well than smks or scenars for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X