Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, building my first rifle

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I am hoping to learn all I can. I just ordered a Saturn 18" Spartan and will be building my first 6.5 rifle soon. I have looked at upper recievers and cant make a decision just yet. Also I am calling around today for a suppressor and wondered if anyone out there has any expierence or advice/lessons learned?

I will be ordering all of my reloading components soon as well.

Thanks and God bless!
    Mike
  • Longshot_34

The only advice/lesson learned I can share is to buy quality parts. I tried to cut some corners when I bought my first 6.5G and ended up selling it last week. Now I'm starting over from scratch.

Comment

• leopard6.5

Welcome and good luck with the build.

You might want to check out the monolithic uppers at AA( I think they are Mega uppers) for the extra rigidity.
      I'm doing a build with the Satern Spartan 18" barrel also using the monolithic upper.

Please post pictures when you're done and let us know how she shoots.

Have fun.

Lee

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Welcome, Mike!

John
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

OK, so its been a while but I have enjoyed reading the other threads, I almost have my rifle done and will have pictures up hopefuly this weekend. I have a question, Do I need to have a different buffer or a heavier buffer spring to run 6.5 G loads through this rife I have built? I have not gotten optics mounted yeat so I have not fired the rifle. I have heard that the buffer and or spring might be different. I am sure there are lits of threads about this and I am a "green horn" in the 6.5 game so if you dont feel like explaining it please post a thread link.

Also I have spoken to AA, Mega, and Satern about the contract termination between AA and Saturn. I understand whats going on there and now I'm see an explosion of the 264 LBC. So is the 264LBC the same as the 6.5 Grendel? I was told they are interchangeable simillar to the 5.56 and .223. We understand they are not exactly the same but for the most part you will be able to fire both from the same rifle.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by hvlp6347 View Post
            So is the 264LBC the same as the 6.5 Grendel?
            AFAIK, the cartridges are the same, except for the headstamps.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Actually, with the release of the Grendel trademark, there is now a significant upswing in companies building the Grendel. Many companies want to build to SAAMI specs, and the Grendel is the SAAMI approved chamber.

Comment

I got this thing done finally, well short of some new optics and the trigger I had ordered was put on back order so I threw in a Rock River Match trigger I had in the drawer of spare parts.

I already had a Mega Froged Lower, got it for payment for building several for a guy. Maybe someday soon Ill get the billet to match the upper.

I bought the mid length billet upper and used an Adams Arms gas piston kit I already had(they standard kit has to be machined to fit the Mega mono uppers! Call Mega for questions but its easy!)

Satern 18" tube, BCM charging handle, magpul plastics. Wilson scope mount with a Zeiss I had in the safe.

It shoots great, I have only shot 26 rounds through it at the 100 paper but I get sub moa groups, infact most are one ragged hole and w few were clover leafs.

I have been shooting the 123 Hornady ammo but look forward to loading a few, I wished someone could tel me what powder Hornady is using!

By hvlp6347 at 2011-12-28

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Let me know what you think and be honest you wont hurt my special feelings or anything! Also I plan on getting rid of the Trigger and trying the Timeny. The scope mount has to go, I thik its silly to have it there on a mono rail because its to dang heavy. And I'm replacing the scope. My goal here was to build a rifle I could hunt anything in Oklahoma with and have a light long range Yotey shooter, after a couple days of lugging around the H-BAR Colt with all the extras on it last year in knee deep snow I was determined to build something a little lighter weight. The magpull plastic butt is still a little heavy, almost a pound more than the A2 I have, but I have liked it for years and will keep it.

I really want to say thanks to all you guys who shared info with me and helped with my questions.

also bwaites I have seen several of your posts and it feels like you are in business with AA, are you? I do want to thanks you for the amount of info you have provided about this cartridge and the components. The impression I have gotten from AA is not a good one, but I hope they keep up pushing the 6.5 G. I never got very friendly help on the phone and selected not buying from them but to simply piece my own. However, I am happy that Hornady got this cartridge approved and as for .264 LBC if they can do their thing thats cool. I am hoping to see this cartidge grow and would love to see some agency or SOCOM group pick it up and make it more common.

Comment

Looks good, shoots great, how sweat is that. Well job.

Comment

That Wilson Combat mount looks EXACTLY like my Double Star!

Comment

Working...
                            X