New Lease, New Load!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lease, New Load!!!

Ok, I haven't got in the garage yet to work on the chambering issues I had posted on the troubleshooting forum. But, I wanted to get some of my other questions going before I did.

I got on a new deer lease this year, and I'll be able to take shots in dense woods, as well as out to 600-700 yards if I want. I know 700 yards is probably out of the effective range of the Grendel for hunting, but I was wondering what bullet/load you all suggested. Right now I've got some 100 gran Nosler BT's. These seem to work really well for me accuracy wise, and they have a low expansion velocity (1,600fps) which puts my theoretical effective range to about 450-500 yards. I'm getting right at 2,600 fps out of my 16". I know, sounds fast. There is a little bit of ejector marks, but primers look good. I get ejector marks no matter what load I use.

Has anyone had any personal experience with any bullets on deer (usually in my area deer are less than 150lbs) size game at ranges of 500-600 yards?

Alrighty, well I guess I'll stick with my current load then.

Comment

I shot mine last year at 465yds, it falls short of what you were asking.

This year if you like I will bring a police whistle and give him a head start so I can get him to be at that range.

[Just kidding]

I used the 123 AMAX and it performed beautifully.

That was factory loads as well.
      One shot and one kill.

Comment

Where do you find info on expansion velocity? I've seen very few bullets that mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by z06man View Post
          Where do you find info on expansion velocity? I've seen very few bullets that mention it.

Comment

Thanks warped. With the way you guys always talk about the amax, I always assumed it was a hunting bullet. Hornady says it's not recommended for hunting. What makes the amax better than other match bullets for hunting?

Comment

Working...
            X