Anyone using H4198 with Nosler 120 Balstic Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using H4198 with Nosler 120 Balstic Tips?

I'm looking to work up a load using H4198, and 120gr Nosler balstic tips. I'm looking at a starting load of 20.5gr, based on Hogdons data for a diffrent 120gr bullet.

Anyone have any insite that may be helpful?

Hodgdon has data for the 120gr bullet and h-4198, so it should work. IMO, it is not the best choice for a 120gr bullet, too fast. I would save the H-4198 for lighter bullets and try something a bit slower for the 120gr.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by harmanrk View Post
      I'm looking to work up a load using H4198, and 120gr Nosler balstic tips. I'm looking at a starting load of 20.5gr, based on Hogdons data for a diffrent 120gr bullet. Anyone have any insite that may be helpful?
      HM:

Not a problem. 4198 is too fast for the Grendel. Yes, it may be in some loading manuals although I am not positive but it is still too fast.

Guys were trying to find a extruded powder that worked in the Grendel but nothing was available then that gave top level speeds with safe pressures. It was either safe pressure and extremely slow speeds or unsafe pressure and slow speeds. So most stayed with ball powders.

However, when 8208 XBR came out, it solved the extruded powder issue with the Grendel and I contend that it is superior to the ball powders in terms of the Grendel.

So, get some 8208XBR.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
      X