Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • devildog999

6.5 Grendel Primers

Quick question, I'm new to reloading 6.5 and noticed that the primer that seems most popular is the CCI450 Small Rifle. My confusion is that the primer pocket on my rounds seems larger like a Winchester WLR Large Rifle Primer would fit in there (granted I would never use those since they are a much more sensitive primer and don't want a slam fire). I just want to make sure that if I buy the 450 its gonna fit right. A forum I read a while ago said to use the CCI41 but they are too small for the pocket.

Thanks in advance for any help
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Need to specify what brass you are using. Lapua/AA and Hornady use small rifle primers. Wolf and most 7.62x39 use large rifle primers.(7.62x39 must be necked down and fire formed.)

Comment

• devildog999

I am using fired wolf brass. That would explain the larger primer pocket. That being said, if I bought brass with the larger primer pocket, what do you guys think of the CCI41's? Already have 1000 of them so I would like to use them and I do like the fact that they are a harder primer due to them being fired from an AR platform.

Comment

Originally posted by devildog999 View Post
        I am using fired wolf brass. That would explain the larger primer pocket. That being said, if I bought brass with the larger primer pocket, what do you guys think of the CCI41's? Already have 1000 of them so I would like to use them and I do like the fact that they are a harder primer due to them being fired from an AR platform.
        The CCI41's are too small, they are small rifle primers, if your going to use that style CCI then you will want the CCI34, they are a large rifle primer and what I have switched to for the reformed IMI brass I have been using.

Greg

Comment

• devildog999

Sorry, I meant if I bought grendel brass with small primer pockets like Lapua or Hornaday, would the 41's be a decent choice.

Also, if I use the 34's (or even 41's for that matter), should I start the powder loads at the minimum shown in the charts like Hodgdon or go a little lower than the minimum due to them being a bit hotter.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

DevilDog,

Always start low and work up. As most of the load data is using magnum primers you shouldn't have to worry about it, BUT that is just my opinion, and we all know about those.

Greg

Comment

• devildog999

Thanks much, appreciate it

Comment

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I've searched and can't find a more appropriate/newer thread on the subject. I'm trying to use Hornady brass with CCI #450 primers, but the Hornady brass seems like the primer is just a tad too large and doesn't want to seat all the way in. The primer sticks out and isn't sitting flush, so I'm worried about slam fires. I've double checked and cleaned the primer pocket very well and the primers still won't fit.
                The same primers seat perfectly in the Lapua (AA) brass I have. Any ideas as to what might be going on, or if I should be using different primers in Hornady brass?

While I'm posting, what tool are you all using to trim the Lapua/AA brass? The Lee case trimmer/length gauge I have doesn't fit through the flash hole on the Lapua brass. I've read some people say they're not trimming the Lapua brass at all (assuming it's under the max length 1.526"). Thoughts/opinions?

Comment

• Michael
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

Can't help you with the primer issue, but as far as the Lee Case Trimmer, the Lapua brass has a smaller flashole than the pin in that case trimmer. The Lee will work with Hornady and Wolf brass though.

For my Lapua brass, I use a RCBS trimmer. Don't like it as much as the Lee, but if you are careful, you still get good uniform lenghts. Many on this forum will say don't even bother trimming Lapua, and these are smart folks, I'm just kind of anal.
                  I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
                  - Voltaire

Comment

I should note I'm using the prime tool built into the Lee auto turret press. Everything I've read online about difficulties getting primers to seat all the way says to go get a Lee Auto Prime hand primer tool - so I guess I'll go get one and give it a shot.

Comment

• rasp65
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Ferch I use the Lee Auto prime and it works well for me. Is there any way to adjust the primer mechanism on the auto turret press? I would check the manual and see.

Comment

Thanks for the response rasp - I didn't see a way to adjust the primer mechanism on the press, so I just bought the Auto Primer.

Comment

Working...
                        X