• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

6.5/.264 bullet weight /powder relationships

I know with some cartridges, when using heavy bullets, one powder seems to work better over another and same with lighter weight bullets, what powders are good for light weight bullets with this cartridge, and which ones with the heavier bullets?

Bump!! I'm interested in this question. I have h322 and it was working well with 100gr NBTs, but have recently wanted to switch to 120s.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Lots of ground to cover, but my experience:

I break it into 2 groups to keep it simple for my little brain:

Grendel Light weight bullets: 90-110 grains--I use Xterminator and XBR 8208. The XBR is new for me, but the first group of 107 SMK's I shot went about .25 inches.

Grendel Heavy weight bullets: 111 grains up to 129 grains (I've never loaded anything heavier than 129's.) I use TAC, 2520, and BLC-2. I have mostly stopped using BLC-2 because, although it is extremely accurate, it is somewhat dirtier than the others, and I don't like cleaning guns.

That said, there are good reports of extreme accuracy with XBR all the way up through 123 grain bullets, and I will be experimenting with it in that weight class as well.

Others have had great luck with Winchester 748 in all weights, and 2230 in the lighter weights, but I don't use them because I don't have anyone locally who stocks them.

There is very good info to be gained from studying this thread:

Here is the reloading data from the old 6.5 Grendel forum. USE WITH CAUTION AND ON YOUR DISCRETION. I CAN NOT VOUCH FOR THE ACCURACY OF THE POSTED INFORMATION Case Bullet Powder Charge Primer OAL Forum Member . Lapua Sierra 85 gr. HP BL-C(2) 30.5 gr. CCI #450 2.200" . Lapua Sierra 85 gr. HP H-335 30.0

Comment

• gophernuts

I just ran my first big batch using BL-C2 for 123 A-Max's with good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Oobray View Post
          Bump!! I'm interested in this question. I have h322 and it was working well with 100gr NBTs, but have recently wanted to switch to 120s.
          I'ld be interested in how the H322 does with the 120's. What loads did you use with 100 NBTs?

Comment

No help to the OP, but I had trouble with H322 not cycling my rifle (20" with mid length gas system) shooting 120g bullets. At some point I'm going to go back and retry some loads with it as I'm getting fantastic results using that powder in a 223 savage I have and would love to be able to buy it in larger quantities and feed both rifles the same powder.

Comment

I just got done shooting 50 round using H322 with the Sierra 120 PH. No problems cycling, 16" Mid-length barrel. At 100 yds. best 5-shot group 1.5" worst 2.9".

Comment

Bruce, it should have shot better than that, were you using a rest and rear bag?

Comment

I definitely was expecting better results but they were my first Grendel reloads. I've got another load to try we'll see how they do. I was shooting off a bench with front rest and sandbags in the rear. I can't say for sure and at this point is pure speculation but I have doubts about the Hogue forearm and how the barrel nut is torqued down. It is put on using a strap wrench. To me that just doesn't seem to be a good way to torque down the barrel nut. Like I said this is just a speculation and there are other variables I need to eliminate. So I'm just going to keep shooting and shooting until I figure it out, damn. That is a good problem.

Comment

• RangerRick

Accurate 2460 for 100-110 grain, Accurate 2520 for 120-123.

Comment

Working...
                    X