• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

sticky Hornady ammo

I purchased 200 rounds of Hornady 6.5 grendel ammo. I put them in my case gauge and they are tight. I tried chambering them and they are also tight , especially when I extract them. I have shot hundreds of rounds of Wolf without any problems.and they fall right in my chamber gauge. Anybody else have this problem or did I get a bad lot from Hornady?

I was just at the range Friday using Hornady ammo for the first time. I had two cases that got stuck and had to be forced out. I did not have that problem with the wolf stuff. With that being said, the Hornady gave great groups.

Comment

• Traveler97

Sources tell me, Hornady is changing dimensions due to receiving incorrect data and working with barrel makers to resolve. The ammo is changing... Also, chamber and bolt prints are changing from AA. This is causing feed issues and damage to the ammo. It seems someone is not being consistent with drawings and Hornady is not happy.... Any barrel maker that wants to make a 6.5 Grendel is having to adjust chambers, if they want Hornady ammo to work. Stay tuned....it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Traveler please identify your sources. If not, please demonstrate why anyone here should believe your allegations. They have been posted previously and found wanting.

When your first post is so inflammatory and so obviously troll like, we have wonder what your agenda is.
        Last edited by bwaites; 06-29-2011, 05:15 AM.

Comment

• rasp65
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Sound like phil murray is still pissed about Grendel ammo not fitting his non Grendel chamber.

Comment

Traveler, is that you Phil?

Or are you merely a Philophile?

Comment

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
              Sound like phil murray is still pissed about Grendel ammo not fitting his non Grendel chamber.
              That was never the issue, if it were he would have sorted it out rather than bitching for well over a year and demanding drawings.

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

I sent my case gauge back to A.A. Bill said it could have been an old case gauge that got mixed in the new. I will never get upset with either Alexander Arms or Hornady if their is a glitch in ammo or anything else. Both company's have put up a big risk to put out the best cartridge for the AR type platform. I love the Grendel and will support it completely. For decades I wished that someone would bring out a great cartridge for the AR type firearms and Bill Alexander did and Hornady with their great ammo also took a financial risk to complete my wish. Best of luck to both company's. They have my complete support. Montana

Comment

Now if someone will only make a usable magazine.

Comment

• Traveler97

Hornady Ammo

Wow....First of all, I shoot a 6.5 Grendel. I love the round/gun. Second, experience tells me that people get defensive when there really is an issue. My point was only that there are issues and it is due to the fact that ammo manufacturers never check their ammo on a "real" chamber. They only go off of prints....You guys need to cool your jets and address the issues subjectively. Solve the problem, is my point....ask why? I have seen manufacturers come and go for the Grendel barrels - I do know some personally that no longer manufacture Grendels. They come and go - I'm asking "why", what's the real issue here?

Yes, I will not be happy if Hornady changes the neck or OAL and it doesn't work in my gun. I want to see the round survive as I don't want to reload. Also, Hornady shoots just fine in my gun...I'd like for it to stay that way.

Why are we not pushing for it to be standardize for SAAMI? Big picture guys...survival of the round. Hornady is not the only ammo I shoot, either. Alexander Arms is not ran by one person. A board has control of the company - like most of our large gun manufacturers, it's owned by an investment company. They care about profits, not sustainability of the gun industry. They can simply close the doors and we loose. They get their profits and move to another investment. This is the big picture.

We all want to see the round survive - me especially, as I am building another 6.5 Grendel. As for posting, this is my first on this "new" site. I was on the old one. I don't have to state my sources as the info is already in the marketplace. Sorry, the push back sounds like our politicians. So, ban me if you like, I'll keep shooting....

PS - It's not just AA, it's the whole industry right now. Everyone is not manufacturing to standard drawings for the AR - every part manufacturer has different specs and don't all work together. Segmentation and changes lead to quality issues. I know, as I work for a very large manufacturer (not gun related). And people wonder why they have issues with their ARs.....start measuring...you'll see. Let these issues continue and someone can get hurt. How many accidents need to happen before we talk about it?

Cheers. And no my name is not Phil, my name is Jeff.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2011, 04:27 AM.

Comment

This is from a thread about measuring 6.5 Grendel brass using a Hornady Headspace gauge: "I remeasured Factory Lapua, Factory Hornady 123 A-Max (2 different lot numbers), and my 2 cases that I've resized with a Redding Full-Length die set firmly against the shellholder of my Forster Co-Ax press( Not overly cammed over in the press but firm contact)
                      Using my new digital calipers zero'd with Hornady Headspace gauge with the .350" insert. My tool on the dial calipers measures 2.002".
                      ----Lapua factory new cases--1.207 to 1.208" mostly 1.208"
                      ----factory loaded Hornady 123 A-Max --1.216 to 1.217
                      ---factory loaded Hornady 123 A-Max fired in my 24" J&T heavy barrel--- 1.219 to 1.221
                      ----resized once fired Hornady 123 A-Max cases (only 2 just for this test)--1.215-1.216"
                      This shows a couple things. One is that my Redding full-length die set sizes brass correctly for my J&T 24" heavy barreled upper correctly. It shows the Hornady brass fits my chamber. Surprising thing was that factory Lapua cases are so short in the shoulder. One thing to note is that I was told by J&T that they test fire their rifles-uppers with Wolf ammo.
                      One thing that I'd like to know is what powder Hornady uses in their factory 123 A-Max. Would it be like SuperPerformance or LeverRevolution and maybe too slow for 6.5 Grendel gas systems. Just curious about powder "speed-burning rates" of Hornady 123 A-max. Mine chrono'd at approx 2610 fps at 10 ft out of my 24" barrel.
                      The difference in shoulder lengths just left me curious about this post and chamber sizes. If someone chambers off Lapua dimensions then Hornady cases would be long. The above dimensions are using the Hornady Headspace gauge with the .350 insert installed. My 2 cases sized with the Redding full-length die were sized perfectly with no issues and no bulges at the area where the sizing die stops.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2011, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I watched the video on 6.5 Grendel where Hornady Rep was talking about lengths Hornady had gone to develop the 123 grain A-Max load. The Hornady Rep said they developed the new 123 Grain A-Max and used super performance powder even though it was not in the title like other cartridges. The Rep indicated this powder is how Hornady is able to achieve the higher velocity with their factory 123 grain A-Max.

Comment

• Traveler97

Originally posted by rg1 View Post
                          This is from a thread about measuring 6.5 Grendel brass using a Hornady Headspace gauge: "I remeasured Factory Lapua, Factory Hornady 123 A-Max (2 different lot numbers), and my 2 cases that I've resized with a Redding Full-Length die set firmly against the shellholder of my Forster Co-Ax press( Not overly cammed over in the press but firm contact)
                          Using my new digital calipers zero'd with Hornady Headspace gauge with the .350" insert. My tool on the dial calipers measures 2.002".
                          ----Lapua factory new cases--1.207 to 1.208" mostly 1.208"
                          ----factory loaded Hornady 123 A-Max --1.216 to 1.217
                          ---factory loaded Hornady 123 A-Max fired in my 24" J&T heavy barrel--- 1.219 to 1.221
                          ----resized once fired Hornady 123 A-Max cases (only 2 just for this test)--1.215-1.216"
                          This shows a couple things. One is that my Redding full-length die set sizes brass correctly for my J&T 24" heavy barreled upper correctly. It shows the Hornady brass fits my chamber. Surprising thing was that factory Lapua cases are so short in the shoulder. One thing to note is that I was told by J&T that they test fire their rifles-uppers with Wolf ammo.

The difference in shoulder lengths just left me curious about this post and chamber sizes. If someone chambers off Lapua dimensions then Hornady cases would be long. The above dimensions are using the Hornady Headspace gauge with the .350 insert installed. My 2 cases sized with the Redding full-length die were sized perfectly with no issues and no bulges at the area where the sizing die stops.
                          So you have to ask yourself: Why is this? Where do the ammo manufacturers go for sizing the ammo? Must be a drawing. But from who? Where do the barrel manufacturers go for the chambers? If there no standard, how do you know the ammo will work in your chamber...or will it be a safety issue? Hence, the problem with all rounds that are not SAAMI. If we loose control and safety is compromised, the industry will loose and the govt. will win. All gun owners like myself will loose.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Traveler97 View Post
                            So you have to ask yourself: Why is this? Where do the ammo manufacturers go for sizing the ammo? Must be a drawing. But from who? Where do the barrel manufacturers go for the chambers? If there no standard, how do you know the ammo will work in your chamber...or will it be a safety issue? Hence, the problem with all rounds that are not SAAMI. If we loose control and safety is compromised, the industry will loose and the govt. will win. All gun owners like myself will loose.
                            This is a very dead horse..... The majority of problems you are alluding to have quite simply come from unlicensed mfg's who intentionally varied the chamber dimensions from those published & widely available from AA.

The variances RG1 noted in unfired brass are not that untypical for unfired cases in standard, SAAMI calibers as well. And may vary from lot to lot, though I'm told Lapua is quite good in that aspect.

It's a big leap to safety issues from a .009" variance in case length of measured on one lot of ammo.... You should hear the varmit & bench rest shooters complain about case variances with Rem & Win unfired brass on SAAMI cartridges!

Originally posted by rg1
                            If someone chambers off Lapua dimensions then Hornady cases would be long.
                            This is why you do not chamber off of brass unless you are willing to lock yourself into a single mfg, and perhaps single lot of brass. Instead, you use reamers & go/no go gauges built from the same print.

The thing that I find a bit silly is the amount of problems people inflict on themselves trying to solve non-existent problems with custom chambers when repeatedly the standard AA Grendel chamber turns in great accuracy with both Lapua & Hornady cased factory ammo.

Just sayin......

Comment

Working...
                            X