Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oregonradman

Sizing Brass

I have loaded rifle cartridges for years but all for bolt guns. After fire forming the brass to a particular gun, I would only neck size and then trim for the next 5-7 loadings. This procedure produced accurate loads for me. Since my Grendal will be in the semi auto platform, will I have to fully re-size every time or can I just neck size? Does anyone turn the necks? TIA
  • CoolBarrelBill

You need to full length resize each time.

Comment

• longdayjake

I resize every time. The grendel seems to have shoulder issues and I need to bump the shoulder back every time.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Standard procedure for all gas guns is to full length resize everytime.

Some people get away with other procedures, but for best function, it is best to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by oregonradman View Post
          I have loaded rifle cartridges for years but all for bolt guns. After fire forming the brass to a particular gun, I would only neck size and then trim for the next 5-7 loadings. This procedure produced accurate loads for me. Since my Grendal will be in the semi auto platform, will I have to fully re-size every time or can I just neck size? Does anyone turn the necks? TIA
          You must fully resize every time and I trim to size. I turn the necks after resizing and trimming on all my match rounds with new cases. I found that new Laupa case necks need very littel work, most of the shooters use them right out of the box. I have started reload in the 70's and I found out that if all the componets are the same they make the best round. That's IMHO.

Mike

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

In a gas gun, there are quite a few people who think that turning necks is not necessary, particularly with Lapua brass. But its just like "breaking in" a new barrel, some of reloading and shooting well is psychological, and for some guys taking all those steps is helpful in filling all the boxes they would otherwise worry about.

Do what works for you, but for gas guns it is pretty well acknowledged you must full length resize every time.

Even a lot of the bolt gun F class guys have switched to full length resizing everything.

Comment

• Clod Stomper

As a matter of fact, the couple of times I tried to rechamber fired brass, the cases would get stuck and it's a PITA to get them back out. So, yes, definitely full-length resize.

Will

Comment

Hi guys.. new here. Long time shooter and reloader. I've never used Lapua b/c of cost even though I know it is top of the line. I've not yet decided on the 6.5G as a platform for my next AR yet.. but was concerned with how many reloads you are getting with the Lapua brass if you are FL resizing each use? I can get 12-15 reloads out of my brass in bolt rifles but I only neck size unless they get too tight for the chamber.. then FLR. At $1 each I'd like to get more than 6 reloads.
                Thanks,
                Hawk

Comment

The guys I know that are reloading Lapua brass say 15 times.

The brass is really nice and the Grendel is easy on brass

A good friend of mine says until it cracks at the neck

He gets 15 or more

He is however, not pushing it past load data

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

I have brass I've reloaded 20+ times. After 10-15 times I start losing 2-3 cases/100 to neck cracks. That may very well be due to the fact that I used Lee dies for the first 3-4000 loads I reloaded before switching to better dies.

I've lost none the last 1000 cases I've reloaded, though. I used to be anal about keeping track of how many reloads each piece had, grouping them all together by number of reloads. Not anymore except for brass I intend to use in long range competition. I just didn't see any significant difference while keeping it separated.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      I have brass I've reloaded 20+ times. After 10-15 times I start losing 2-3 cases/100 to neck cracks. That may very well be due to the fact that I used Lee dies for the first 3-4000 loads I reloaded before switching to better dies.

I've lost none the last 1000 cases I've reloaded, though. I used to be anal about keeping track of how many reloads each piece had, grouping them all together by number of reloads. Not anymore except for brass I intend to use in long range competition. I just didn't see any significant difference while keeping it separated.
                      What make of dies did you switch to?

Comment

Most likely he has Reddings, I have them too.

Pay once, cry once.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

I do have Reddings, type S match dies, with Competition seater.

Great dies.

Comment

Working...
                          X