Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First reloads

1st ladder test.jpgF

Tried the ladder for the first time. Number ten in the attachment should read 28.7 gr.
    Absolutely no pressure signs on any of the cases. For the next step in the test I am not sure if I should use 8,9,10 or do 5-10. Any suggestions?

IMR 8028 XBR
    123 gr A-MAX
    CCI 450
    COL 2.245
    Hornady once fired brass(out of same gun) Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Dies.
    I will do next leg of test at 500 yards.
    Red dot is3/4"

I just ran a similar set of 123 AMAX using the 8208. Try a narrower range ie-27.8 - 28.5(max suggested load). Load in groups of 5-10 rounds for each powder 'set'. Shoot in groups of five at a bull and compare how well the rounds group for each of the five shots. Some people will allow for a flier, but that is why I like to shoot two groups of five for each powder load. When you get the right load your groups will tighten significantly. Shoot from a steady platform and don't waste your time by shooting for groups in gusty winds. You will just have to do it all over again. with my 16" bbl I was able to get a .528 group at 28.5 gr, 2487fps, using a coal of 2.250.

Comment

I will be trying that Monday AM.....Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by steel89 View Post
        I just ran a similar set of 123 AMAX using the 8208. Try a narrower range ie-27.8 - 28.5(max suggested load). Load in groups of 5-10 rounds for each powder 'set'. Shoot in groups of five at a bull and compare how well the rounds group for each of the five shots. Some people will allow for a flier, but that is why I like to shoot two groups of five for each powder load. When you get the right load your groups will tighten significantly. Shoot from a steady platform and don't waste your time by shooting for groups in gusty winds. You will just have to do it all over again. with my 16" bbl I was able to get a .528 group at 28.5 gr, 2487fps, using a coal of 2.250.
        DSCN1360.jpg

Steel, I went out and shot six loads in 0.1 gr increments. for a start I shot 3 of each with the exception of the lower center which was 5 shots.. 28.0,28.1,28.2, 28.3,28.4(5 shots),and 28.5 gr. of 8208. The numbers below each target represent the distance BELOW each point of aim.The first two were center of box,the rest were center of circle. I was surprised at the difference one grain makes. I shot one of each loading then did the second ..then the third. Again no sign of pressure. Distance was 200 yards.

Went home and loaded up twenty rounds : 28.5 grains,cci450,123A-Max Once fired hornady brass.I weighed all loads 3 separate times because I really wanted them to be consistent.
        Went out this morning at 8AM but the New Mexico wind was blowing so I decided to Chrono 10 rounds. To my horror they bounced back and forth between 2453 fps and 2600 fps. Hopefully, it is the chronograph that is malfunctioning. The brass showed no pressure signs.

Any thoughts??
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2011, 11:19 PM. Reason: redundancy

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]269[/ATTACH]

Steel, I went out and shot six loads in 0.1 gr increments. for a start I shot 3 of each with the exception of the lower center which was 5 shots.. 28.0,28.1,28.2, 28.3,28.4(5 shots),and 28.5 gr. of 8208. The numbers below each target represent the distance BELOW each point of aim.The first two were center of box,the rest were center of circle. I was surprised at the difference one grain makes. I shot one of each loading then did the second ..then the third. Again no sign of pressure. Distance was 200 yards.

Went home and loaded up twenty rounds : 28.5 grains,cci450,123A-Max Once fired hornady brass.I weighed all loads 3 separate times because I really wanted them to be consistent.
          Went out this morning at 8AM but the New Mexico wind was blowing so I decided to Chrono 10 rounds. To my horror they bounced back and forth between 2453 fps and 2600 fps. Hopefully, it is the chronograph that is malfunctioning. The brass showed no pressure signs.

Any thoughts??
          Dave:

Sure. .1 grain of powder won't show a difference. Even if your scale can measure .1 grain every single time. So far I haven't found a commercial reloading scale that good.

A decent idea is to increase or decrease by 1/2 grain as you find a load. That way you are sure that it is the load and not the rifle, brass, flash hole, or primer.

Ditto for shooting at least two strings of five of each load. Hard on the budget but faster to find something that you can trust.

LR1955

Comment

"Went out this morning at 8AM but the New Mexico wind was blowing so I decided to Chrono 10 rounds. To my horror they bounced back and forth between 2453 fps and 2600 fps. Hopefully, it is the chronograph that is malfunctioning. The brass showed no pressure signs."

Dj,
            Check the area where you are weighing you powder to make sure that an AC vent ot fan aren't blowing on your scale giving you false scale readings. If your chrony shows you have that much spread something is very wrong. You are generally on the right track just jump your loads 2-3gr for covering a spread of 27.8gr to say 28.5gr and tweak your best groups if you need to. I hunt, so if I hit a reliable 1/2 -1 MOA it is fine for my purposes.

Comment

• RangerRick

Be sure your chrono is 15 feet away, you may be picking up powder particles and that will throw off the readings.

Comment

• AKGrendelShooter

Another thing that you might want to try is consistency in your brass. I havent tried the Hornady brass I went straight to using Lapua brass and can stuff just about anything together and it shoot 1/2 MOA out of my sabre defence barrel. AA brass is also manufactured by lapua just with AA's name stamped on it. It takes a small rifle primer rather than a large rifle like the hornady brass. It may be worth a try if you are interested in tight grouping.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by AKGrendelShooter View Post
                  Another thing that you might want to try is consistency in your brass. I havent tried the Hornady brass I went straight to using Lapua brass and can stuff just about anything together and it shoot 1/2 MOA out of my sabre defence barrel. AA brass is also manufactured by lapua just with AA's name stamped on it. It takes a small rifle primer rather than a large rifle like the hornady brass. It may be worth a try if you are interested in tight grouping.
                  Hornady brass is also small primer.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by AKGrendelShooter View Post
                    AKGS:

The weight / uniformity of his brass won't cause problems at distances under about 800 yards.

Most likely the wind was giving his chronograph problems.

Guys need to remember that they are shooting a gas gun where one can't really isolate variables unless they do something really drastic. Such as altering charges by up to 1/2 grain, changing primers or bullets.

I have not seen a difference in accuracy when changing brass from Wolf to Lapua to Hornady. Not even using 7.62 X 39 brass. I probably would if the rifle were a quality bolt action bench rest caliber but not with a gas blaster.

LR1955

Comment

I apologize for being off topic, but what is the purpos of the square above the bullseye?

Comment

Originally posted by z06man View Post
                        I apologize for being off topic, but what is the purpos of the square above the bullseye?
                        The square is used in benchrest shooting to compensate for mirage.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                          AKGS:

The weight / uniformity of his brass won't cause problems at distances under about 800 yards.

Most likely the wind was giving his chronograph problems.

LR1955
                          That thought occurred to me. The 28.5 load printed 1/2" @ 200 yds (consistency?). I loaded 20 more of the same with extra care (three trips to the scale instead of two for the previous batch) to check on how much of that 1/2" was luck.It was too windy to shoot for accuracy so I set up the chronograph instead(I hate going to the range and not shooting something). All of the cases ejected and landed in the exact same spot.

Comment

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                            The square is used in benchrest shooting to compensate for mirage.
                            Is there somewhere I can read about this? I don't really understand how that works. I haven't shot long range enough to have to deal with mirage but a couple of times, but I plan on changing that once I get this Grendel built.

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

I use the exact same load except that I am using Lapua brass. If you were that careful to weigh all your loads, the first thing that comes to mind that might be wrong is inconsistent neck tension. Are you using an expander ball? If so, did you make sure that the inside of the case necks were lubed when resizing? Are you crimping at all? I am actually dealing with the same thing with my 123 Amax loads. I have been getting about 2630 FPS with scattered shots running as low as 2595 or so. I am hoping that by using fresh brass (or just annealed) I can tighten up my velocity numbers. My 123 Scenars are all within 10 FPS of each other, and the only difference was the brass was newer.

As a side note, do you mind letting me know what the lot # of the bullets you are using is? Wouldn't it be funny if we have the same lot and the same problem? Mine is Lot# 2110290.

-LRS

Comment

Working...
                              X