Maximum and Minimum OAL's for 6.5 reloads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum and Minimum OAL's for 6.5 reloads?

is there a SAAMI spec for the max and min COAL? I am used to having a bit of tolerance to work within, but the grendels are not showing me the same leeway.

would it be 2.200 to 2.250?

any advice?
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

There is no minimum that I am aware of but the max needs to be determined by measuring your rifles chamber, I outlined my method here: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...jump-amp-crimp The other maximum is determined by your magazine length with some bullets. If you measure a bullet and it is greater than mag length then max COAL is mag length.

Comment

Most Max-Min COALs are based on a cartriges OAL in your specific chamber, with a specific bullet ( ie. a TTSX vs AMAX design). In the reloading string 'Balance of Jump' there was alot of great imput on how to measure your chamber to determine what the max OAL would be for the different bullets you want to shoot. It helped me to set-up my seating die and to find the best accuracy for each bullet in my specific rifle. Outside of your chamber's Max OAL the limiting factor is going to be your magazine's OAL which is going to be around 2.260 for a smooth feed into your Grendel chamber.
      mornin rasp

Comment

• robsf49ers

RASP65 Your concept I think is a great idea, the flaw as pointed out by bwaits has the potential to skew the the findings. I am going to try your method with some design change. I am going to make the cuts in the neck debur them. My change will be to remove if any the primer and use fishing line with enough knots so the line will stay attached to brass, then I will seat the bullet and mark the bullet to brass contact to let me know witch way the bullet has moved, further in or out. After chambering using your method I will pull the bullet out with the fishing line. If the bullet shows it has moved further in to the brass I will assume the rifling has caused this. If it moves further out I will assume the bullet is being pulled out by getting stuck in the rifling.

Comment

• StoneTower

Thread the primer pocket and attach a foot long rod. You won't need a string then and you can also use it to seat the case in the chamber. You will probably need to do the threading in a lathe or a drill press to keep things lined up.

David

Comment

so for the grendel loads then, just whatever the COL is in the loading guide is what i should stick to per bullet, as long as its not longer than 2.250, the max mag length. correct?

Comment

In my gun the Sierra 100gr hp hit the lands right at 2.20...So 2.250 is still way to long.

Comment

• rasp65
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by robsf49ers View Post
                RASP65 Your concept I think is a great idea, the flaw as pointed out by bwaits has the potential to skew the the findings. I am going to try your method with some design change. I am going to make the cuts in the neck debur them. My change will be to remove if any the primer and use fishing line with enough knots so the line will stay attached to brass, then I will seat the bullet and mark the bullet to brass contact to let me know witch way the bullet has moved, further in or out. After chambering using your method I will pull the bullet out with the fishing line. If the bullet shows it has moved further in to the brass I will assume the rifling has caused this. If it moves further out I will assume the bullet is being pulled out by getting stuck in the rifling.
                Rob The problem you will find with pulling out the case is that the throat will hold the bullet and you will get the same errors I got when I tried pulling out the case with the bolt. My case gauge will fall out of the chamber when I tip it up with no bullet in it so if it is that tight in the chamber then it is most likely not properly sized. In reality when I push out the bullet and the gauge I just give the bullet enough of a push to release from the throat and it will fall out of the chamber under its own weight.
                Last edited by rasp65; 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X