Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sniper24INF

Need blank ammo

I'm participating in a sniper competition this October, and one of the events is a graded stalk event that consist of firing two blank rounds. I searched the net but came up short. Any info is appreciated.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Don't know of any factory blanks.

Will they allow hand loaded? If so, you can pull the bullets from a couple of rounds, dump half the powder load, and then plug them with grits or cream of wheat.

Comment

Out of curiosity, I did some searches on this. There is a great info page at http://bobshellsblog.blogspot.com/20...lank-ammo.html

Apparently CH Tool and Die Company sells the dies to make star crimps so that you have a taper that allows the cartridge to feed.

Best of luck and let us know how it turn out.

--Rootshot

Comment

Originally posted by Rootshot View Post
        Out of curiosity, I did some searches on this. There is a great info page at http://bobshellsblog.blogspot.com/20...lank-ammo.html

Apparently CH Tool and Die Company sells the dies to make star crimps so that you have a taper that allows the cartridge to feed.

Best of luck and let us know how it turn out.

--Rootshot
        The next question would be - will a crimped round feed from the magazine into the chamber without the added length of the bullet? Are factory 556 blanks longer than the standard cartriges to compensate? I no longer have access to any to compare them, but if you aren't single loading the two blank rounds in the event I'm sure you'll have to deal with that issue as well as how much powder will cycle your rifle.....if you are using a gas gun.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by steel89 View Post
          The next question would be - will a crimped round feed from the magazine into the chamber without the added length of the bullet? Are factory 556 blanks longer than the standard cartriges to compensate?

Comment

• sniper24INF

They will allow handloaded blanks. I wasn't sure on the star crimp process. I have a few boxes of M200 5.56mm blanks, and that is generally the direction I want to take my 6.5 grendel blank rounds in. I know the M200 utilizes a different powder, would I too have to find a certain powder? My biggest thing is safety, for the rifle will be pointing generally at a live target.

Comment

• sniper24INF

Also, It's only firing two rounds, so If I have to single load them that isn't a huge ordeal, I just need to work on that process under a veil.

Comment

• sniper24INF

Dang, I'm going to have to call CH Tool & Die to see if they can make a custom star crimp die for 6.5. Gonna cost a good amount 80 bucks or more. To bad there's not a DYI kinda way.

Comment

stanc,
                  After a look at the images you supplied of the 556 rounds, it appears that the star crimped 'M200' cartrige is longer than the standard 556 cartriges beside it. I would think that would allow for a smoother feed into the chamber.

Several members have used the method bwaites mentioned of topping a cartrige with grits for fire forming them to the grendel chamber. (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-7.62x39-cases....). It appears fine for fireforming but may have a few drawbacks for your purposes....it's worth a read.

Comment

• sniper24INF

Hmm, maybe I could make some hard wax type disc (melt it down to the diameter I need) and insert it over the top. Just would have to figure out how to roll the mouth over it.

Comment

Hey if you can fireform 7.62x39 for the grendel why not try 7.62x39 blanks fireformed to the grendel. http://centerfiresystems.com/am762x39blanks-100.aspx
                      It might be what you need, that is if they can be re-crimped.

Comment

Mabye the blanks will suffice 'as is'.

Comment

With the crimped cartridge and no round, you don't think it would fit ?

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

I don't see how it could. Even if the crimped nose is small enough to go into the 6.5 bore, the 7.62 case neck is too large to fit into the 6.5 chamber neck.

Comment

Yeah, I guess that about sums it up.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X