Loads for Barnes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loads for Barnes???

Does anyone have a load for 120 gr Barnes TSX? I have a BHW 18" barrel. Thanks

I would.recommend the following.

CCI 450 primer for both loads.

Leverevolution powder. Start at 29 gr and work up, I wouldn't go past 31 gr. Seat to magazine length to start with.

IMR 8208XMR powder. Start at 27,gr and work up, I wouldn't go past 28.2 gr, seat to magazine length to start.

Use these loads and advice at your own risk. They performed safely in my rifle and I didn't see any.pressure signs but that doesn't mean they are within safe limits, I have no way.to check pressures. With the Barnes you may have to play with seating depths to get them to shoot well.

Also, I see you are in New Mexico. Be aware that Leverevolution is temperature sensitive, so it may developed more pressure with heat so watch it if you are pushing the loads to the max, I think if it were me I would stick with the 8208 if I live and shot in a hot climate.

If you shoot these loads will you please let me know how they perform for you.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2011, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Or try TAC- 28.5 to start work up slowly. I found best accuracy about .030 off rifling contact. Nice bullet, easy to load mostly dime size goups @ 100 y.

Comment

I loaded leverevolution to start with, worked about 2500fps. but the same in my 16 inch gas pison gun as my 24 inch gas impingment gun, but much slower in my 14 inch handgun. 29 grains is about all it will take before pusing out the bullet too far. No pressure problems at that load. The AA 2520 would get about the same velocity with 30 grains, and that was all it would take and fit the mag. It did to about 2300 in the handgun, but all of them had higher SD's than the leverevolution, which was almost identical for each round. I haven't done the 8208 yet, but it make take a faster powder like 335 to get a load that will work my long rifles and my handgun, but then, I may be asking too much and need separate loads. I've rebarreled my 24 inch into a new upper receiver to see if I can do better velocities with each of the powders, and I should be able to shoot a lot with the fireworks masking my shots.

This is for the 120 gr TTSX Barnes
        Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2011, 04:25 AM. Reason: clarification.

Comment

Working...
        X