• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFE223 & LeveRevolution

• tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

My entirely improper load of LVR 31.0 +/- and 123 Lapua load shoots pretty well. Its a little dirty but I clean my rifle even when I shot cleaner powder. It fills a void until powder becomes more available, which I predict to be somewhere between late 2016 and never.

Comment

That is kinda funny. I guess they need to send a note to Hornady, since the fastest velocities with 123gr in Hornady's 9th Edition are from CFE223. They need to test it out I think. Some dots are not being connected, as Hodgdon's is a great outfit, and one of the go-to powder manufacturers for accuracy-producing loads.

Comment

I have never used CFE223, but I am familiar with the Leverevolution powder loaded into Hornady's 30-30 ammo. LVR is a bit screwy since it is actually a blend of different sized ball powders tuned specifically for the 30-30 and a few other cartridges. The blend allows tighter packing of the powder, so more fits in the case. For example, with the 30-30 the load can be 3 - 8 grains heavier than with other commonly used powders. (By the way, CFE223 packs fairly densely too.)

From what I have read, the unusual powder blend used in LVR can produce unexpected results in some cartridges, so Hodgdon does not recommend it all that often. In short, LVR might work very well with some case/bullet combinations, but so far for cartridges like the Grendel, it is a matter of trial and error (hopefully not trial and kaboom). Hodgdon has been known to change recommendations , however.

Comment

• longdayjake

I have asked Hodgdon and Ramshot about data for their powders and got very similar responses. It goes to show you that they don't always know the answers we are looking for.

Comment

• seatleroadwr

I get identical results from LVR and CFE. Both give me my best veloccites and good accuracy.

Comment

I've shot 1.1" 5rd groups with CFE and 123gr A-MAX in 20mph+ crosswinds and 17F temps at 100yds. Vertical was .5", horizontal was 1.1". I like CFE a lot so far.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

While the two powders are recognizably different (especially the odor), the same charge weight yields the same velocity with the Grendel cartridge in my experience.

Though they have produced the best velocities for me, I haven't been successful in getting good consistent accuracy. Also, these powders seem very temp sensitive, and recoil is noticeably more.

But based on reports from others on this forum, I'll acknowledge that my experience seems to differ from the norm.
                Drifter

Comment

so what do they want you to use? 2520? varget? 8280? they need to do a lot more development if they are being out developed by a very small community of grendel shooters like us. Kinda funny, they make millions off this stuff and dont do the research, we spend millions and actually do the research. I think it comes down to the fact that most people in the business of shooting supplies are not really shooters and that they dont eat drink and sleep this stuff where we as a community do. I was out of the hospital an hour today before I started measuring a friends rifle for ballistic tables and working up a batch for load data. They get paid anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                    While the two powders are recognizably different (especially the odor), the same charge weight yields the same velocity with the Grendel cartridge in my experience.

Though they have produced the best velocities for me, I haven't been successful in getting good consistent accuracy. Also, these powders seem very temp sensitive, and recoil is noticeably more.

But based on reports from others on this forum, I'll acknowledge that my experience seems to differ from the norm.

Drifter

My limited experience with only cfe has been the same. Hard recoil and less accurate with a given bullet.

Richard

Comment

• longdayjake

I think it comes down to the fact that most people in the business of shooting supplies are not really shooters and that they don't eat drink and sleep this stuff where we as a community do. I was out of the hospital an hour today before I started measuring a friends rifle for ballistic tables and working up a batch for load data. They get paid anyway.
                      As long as they keep producing a great product, I am happy with learning on my own. We have more time and more passion in getting data. I trust what I find on here more than what I see on manuals.

Comment

I haven't worked with CFE enough to say how consistently accurate it will be in my Grendel, but it hasn't deviated so far from the norm with what I'm used to seeing, which is about .8 - 1.2 MOA for 4rd groups out to 500yds.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2012

i don't think you will ever get a powder company to arbitrary tell you something is a direct substitute for something else or to tell you to work up a load with data they don't publish just from a liability stand point, i am surprised the even cobbled together any sort of excuse and not just a "stick to our published data type response
                          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

The cfe powder is the only way to move forward on these recent powders. 8208 is a good one also- it/s now on it/s last legs - as the speed champ.
                            CFE is the best of class..- copper fouling elimination. Same accuracy as 8208. A bit more bulky-
                            it's a great powder- the cfe.
                            It will be the only powder I will use , for the end of 2013-at least.

Hodgden claims they have a few more. in cfe format.
                            For 4 yrs. they said that=?
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 09-29-2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Darn, I guess I have to go pull some bullets......

Comment

Working...
                              X