Problems with lapua?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with lapua?

Double punched the primer pockets on my Lapua brass. Used same punch on Hornady brass, no problem. Anybody had this happen before?

Maybe Lapua brass has tighter primer pockets, which means more primer pocket life to me, but I don't square my pockets. Are you shooting a bolt gun in F-class?

LRRPF52

Comment

No, AR platform. Just ordered the Redding dies instead. Even though Lee has been making the Grendel dies the longest, it seems they haven't figured out that their punches are too big. Redding dies come with a second smaller punch specifically for the Lapua brass. Lesson well learned. Im sure this was a big topic on the older site.

Comment

RCBS has a spring loaded punch, called Power Punch. That will be the ultimate cure. Works like a charm...

Comment

• gophernuts

I have the lee dies too. I used a bit of emery cloth to narrow down the decapping rod a bit. Kind of a pain in the ass but it works. I haven't had any use for the crimper die anyways so maybe I should've just gotten the Redding dies.

Comment

• MrDraco
            Warrior
            • Jul 2011

Unfortunately this is a known problem with Lapua brass. Lapua's primer pockets are indeed smaller than all other makers. I ran into this problem with other calibers and since then I've avoided Lapua like the plague.

Comment

No reason to avoid Lapua, it is by all accounts the finest brass made no matter the caliber

Comment

Originally posted by MrDraco View Post
                Unfortunately this is a known problem with Lapua brass. Lapua's primer pockets are indeed smaller than all other makers. I ran into this problem with other calibers and since then I've avoided Lapua like the plague.
                Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have never had a problem with Lapua brass or had to do anything to the primer pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquateen View Post
                  Double punched the primer pockets on my Lapua brass.
                  Sorry, Just what does this mean?

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

Lapua pockets are tighter, but to me that just means longer brass life...

Comment

• DirectDrive

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                      Sorry, Just what does this mean?
                      I think that he's taking two stabs at the de-prime station.
                      As I re-read this thread I'm not sure if it's the pocket or the flash hole that is undersized.

Comment

Lapua primer pockets never give me trouble, they fit just right and I don't have to worry about loose primers.

Comment

Working...
                        X