Lead tipped bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead tipped bullets

I am interested in others experience with lead tipped bullets in AR-15s, I have stayed away because I thought the rather violent cycling would be rough on them.

The 120g Sierra Pro Hunters have been extreamly accurate for me with no feeding problems. When loading your mag you do have to be careful that you don't ding the tip. Same with the 125 NP.

Comment

• KillerMedic

I bought a bunch of the Speer Hot-Cor 120's when they were on sale and I am glad I did. They shoot great out of both my current barrels. I even loaded a bunch and used them in a tactical carbine course. When clearing a loaded round there is sometimes a small nick in the lead but when re-chambered and fired does not seem to affect accuracy.

Medic...out!

Comment

• Clod Stomper

I like the Remington 120 gr Core-Lokt. They have a very small amount of lead exposed at the tip, so there is less chance for damage. They are accurate, too. I've heard that they are good game bullets, but I haven't taken anything with them yet. Best of all, they are inexpensive when they are in stock.

One downside is the necessity to load them out at a length that leaves the cannelure exposed. But that's just a cosmetic concern.

Will

Comment

• RangerRick

Ditto on the Remington 120's. There is almost no lead exposed and I got very good groups with them and they are cheap.

They list the BC at 0.439 which is higher than the Sierra Match King 120 (0.421), so I don't believe that from a flat base bullet. 0.339 maybe.

So for anything but long range they are great. I haven't hunted with them but Remington has sold a ton of them over the last 50 years, so somebody likes them.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• pinzgauer
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Clod Stomper View Post
            They have a very small amount of lead exposed at the tip, so there is less chance for damage.
            I've used these in other calibers as they can be chambered without deformation. But not in 6.5 as they were a bit pricey in comparison to known performance bullets. IE: If it's just a couple bucks cheaper than 123g amax or 120 SMK, then why bother. In other calibers they were very competitive.

But given the hunting option I may have to revisit!

Comment

• terrywick4

Not sure on the grendel but on my 223 it likes the 60gr sp and they don't get roughed up.

Comment

Working...
              X