Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clod Stomper

Loads for PMC 139 gr bullets?

Has anyone used the 139 gr PMC bullets that Brassman Brass used to sell (I think they're out of them now)? They are flat base, exposed lead tip. I'm going to start working up some loads, but I thought someone may already have some experience.

Thanks,

Will
  • RangerRick

Be a little careful with the exposed lead tips. The feed ramp is steep on the AR compared to some guns and it will squash the lead tips if they are too big.

If they are the same PMC bullets used in their 6.5x55 Swede cartridges, they have an awful lot of exposed lead.

Some lead tips feed just fine, just a potential gotcha.

Rick

Comment

• Clod Stomper

They must be the same ones, because they have a huge amount of exposed lead. I've never been a fan of those types of bullets because they are so easy to deform, but these were just too inexpensive to pass up.

So far they've been feeding fine, but I've had to set them back pretty far to keep them out of the rifling. Between that and the fact that they're already pretty long to begin with, there's not a lot of case capacity left. So far, I've only tried a 25 gr charge of Varget for 2110 fps out of a 18.5" barrel. That's all the powder that will fit behind the bullet.

I may try some more powders, but most likely I'll save these bullets for the .260 that I will eventually have or a single shot pseudo-Grendel that I will also eventually have.

Thanks,

Will

Comment

I tried some of these with 24.0 24.5 and 25.0 and 25.5 gr of 2460. Accuracy was so- so maybe .75 inches with with my max load. In a bolt gun and a 14" no ftf or pressure that I noticed. It just felt anemic.

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Did you happen to chrono any of the 2460 loads in either rifle?

Will

Comment

Working...
          X