Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sniper24INF

Problem with resizing and headspace

I recently purchased Redding Type S Match die set with .288 bushings and I'm having difficulty resizing my fired Lapua brass. I clean my brass inside and out, lube it with Imperial sizing die wax then insert into into the resizing die and the operation of resizing meets resistance. The brass comes out of the die, with the use of unessecary force with measurements top of neck .288, but as we go down the neck it gets bigger, to the base of the neck reading .300 before it hits the shoulder. Even without the bushing in, the brass meets a ton of force when resizing. With new unfired brass, resizing is smooth and the neck comes out with proper measurements. I'm just stumped for I didn't meet these types of problems with my Hornady dies, so maybe I'm just not setting up my new Redding die right? I cleaned the dies, checked them and followed directions to setting them up.

Also, I check the resized brass in my Wilson gage for headspace and the head just barely sits above the upper gauge, so the directions call for bumping the shoulder back just a bit to allow the case to sit deeper into the gauge, but again I'll turn the die to sit lower, but no change. So I'm stumped there as well. lol

Thank you for any response.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Not sure that it's recommended to have the entire length of the neck run through the bushing for resizing. Generally speaking, I think half the neck works most of the time for good accuracy, and maybe 3/4 at the most. (I usually go ~2/3 of the neck.) Try a Google search for neck resizing for additional information.

The amount of the neck resized by the bushing is adjustable independently of the main die. After you get the main die adjusted for proper shoulder setback, then start adjusting the bushing part by the amount that it's screwed into the main die body. You can color the neck on a test case with a Sharpie pen to help gauge the results.

I'm not overly fond of 6.5G Lapua brass. I get better (more consistent) results using Hornady. YMMV.
    Drifter

Comment

• sniper24INF

I'm also shooting this brass out of a mid length ar rifle. So I want to make sure
      That headspace and chamber fit are correct. I know full length resizing is important
      For proper fit, but what method is preferred and how do I replicate that with these dies?

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Your dies will do the job. But like any other brand, they will require proper adjustment. Prepped cases should easily drop fully in the case gauge.

Also, I highly recommend an adjustable gas block on a midlength 6.5G.
        Drifter

Comment

• sniper24INF

Roger that, yeah the fired cases glide right into my Wilson case gauge, it's just that the case head sits parallel or just slightly higher then recommended mark. Im just trying to figure out exactly how to prep my dies, for I'm doing what the instructions call for but when I raise that case up into the die then back out the operation is very violent, as in it it hard to pull that case back down, and the only thing that is changing is 1/3 of top of neck.

Comment

• pinzgauer
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
            Also, I highly recommend an adjustable gas block on a midlength 6.5G.
            Curious as to your reasoning. Is it the normal "grendels are overgassed" thought? Or something specific to the mid-length.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
              Curious as to your reasoning. Is it the normal "grendels are overgassed" thought? Or something specific to the mid-length.
              Yes, it seems common that there's too much gas with midlength barrels, but of course, it depends somewhat on the size of the gas port in the barrel. I believe excessive gas can be detrimental to accuracy, but that's another discussion.

One additional thought for the OP: It's possible that the neck is being worked excessively, and a slight bulge can form just below where the bushing die reaches. Try painting a resized case with a Sharpie pen, then force the case into the case gauge. Force it back out with a punch, and there should be tell-tale marks on what portion of the case is preventing it from fully seating in the gauge. Once you know where the trouble spot is, it should be much easier to address the issue.
              Drifter

Comment

• sniper24INF

Roger that, will try that today and I'll get the results up. Thank u for helping out.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sniper24INF View Post
                  Roger that, will try that today and I'll get the results up. Thank u for helping out.
                  S24:

Your problem is the sizing lube. Get rid of the wax and get some Dillon Spray Lube. Lube the cases and go for it. I guarantee your sizing problem will be solved.

You are messing around way too much with a simple process.

LR1955

Comment

• sniper24INF

Will pick some up at the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by sniper24INF View Post
                      Roger that, yeah the fired cases glide right into my Wilson case gauge, it's just that the case head sits parallel or just slightly higher then recommended mark. Im just trying to figure out exactly how to prep my dies, for I'm doing what the instructions call for but when I raise that case up into the die then back out the operation is very violent, as in it it hard to pull that case back down, and the only thing that is changing is 1/3 of top of neck.
                      +1 on the Wilson Gauge..

I resize them on my Forester Co-Ax press with Redding .288 bushing and there is some resistance, I find myself resizing them in two passes after that they slide in on the gauge all the way through no problem.. I highly recommend this gauge.. I think it can potentially save your life.. I believe it saved mine..

-Juanjo322

Comment

Working...
                      X