Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwilson1985

tryin to figure out a load for long range

i know alot of u will say its not posable but im trying to figure a load and im going to try a 1500-1700yd shot with a 19" barrel grendel 1-8.75 twist ...i have seen a 20" 308 hit a 1540yrd target so i feel its doable just need to figure a fasting burning powder for the shorter barrel im going to use the lapua 123 inless yal know a bullet with better bc thanks in advance
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
    i know alot of u will say its not posable but im trying to figure a load and im going to try a 1500-1700yd shot with a 19" barrel grendel 1-8.75 twist ...i have seen a 20" 308 hit a 1540yrd target so i feel its doable just need to figure a fasting burning powder for the shorter barrel im going to use the lapua 123 inless yal know a bullet with better bc thanks in advance
    JW:

Given very little or no wind and a reasonably sized target, it is more than possible.

You comment on barrel length and BC's. There is essentially no difference between a 19" and 20" barrel and BC's may not be a factor in terms of that type of distance. You will not sustain supersonic speeds at 1500 yards with a 6.5mm cartridge that only holds about 30 grains of powder. BC's don't necessarily correlate with accuracy and in this case, accuracy will probably be more important than raw speed.

Try 8208 XBR with the 123 Lapua, 123 Sierra, 108 Lapua, and 107 Sierra. If 8208 XBR doesn't do well, try 2520. Just note that of the two, most likely the 8208 XBR won't give you the problems in pressures you will get from 2520 given hot conditions.

I don't think a 8.75 barrel will do well with the long 140's but it may so try some of them. I recommend the Sierra 140's and not the 142's.

Not sure what ranges you have available but most likely you will need to test first at 600 yards and then 1000. If it holds OK at 1000, it may be OK at 1500. However, it is problematic at best.

An AR-15 is not too forgiving for guys who go overboard with their hand loads so it is best to develop your loads in terms of the temperature you expect the ammunition to be shot.

Sure, it can be done given very good conditions and a load that will hold together at that distance.

Bill Waites have given you an idea of the elevation you will need. Hope your mount and optic are capable. Very few are at that type of distance.

LR1955
    Last edited by LR1955; 07-14-2011, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• jwilson1985

i know my optics are the rail idk i thank u for ur in put and time

Comment

• KillerMedic

I got some Berger 130 VLD's to try with 8208XBR at 1000yds after reading good things about them. But that may not happen for a month or two. Just another option to try.

Medic...out!

Comment

• jwilson1985

ya im wanting to try sum n530 powder but never used it and i havent talked to someone that has

Comment

Working...
          X