powder charge vs bullet weight, or length/bearing surface.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder charge vs bullet weight, or length/bearing surface.

What is more important when figuring a powder charge.
    1. Th weight of the bullet.
    Or
    2. The length/bearing surface of the bullet.

Th reason for the question is I am considering trying out the 140 Sierra gameking, it it short for its weight and I have been pondering what charge to start with.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
    What is more important when figuring a powder charge.
    1. Th weight of the bullet.
    Or
    2. The length/bearing surface of the bullet.

Th reason for the question is I am considering trying out the 140 Sierra gameking, it it short for its weight and I have been pondering what charge to start with.
    NR:

Have often wondered this myself and actually decide based on both weight and bearing surface. I will first try to find data on the cartridge using a bullet of the same weight and as similar shape as possible. If I find a weight and shape that is similar, I use that data. If the weight and shape are not similar (mostly because one is a flat base and the other boat tail), I start with a medium burning powder at the low end of the data.

So, go to the AA data and see what he is offering for the 140's. Can't hurt to start with his loads for the Lapua 140 Naturalis as it is basically a flat base and round nose bullet so it will have the longest bearing surface you can find.

LR55

Comment

That is kinda what I was thinking as well, just wanted to see what others thought. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X