Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rockwall Arms

Hybrid 100V

Hi everyone! I just got my first 6.5 upper an I want to star working up some loads for deer hunting. The components I have on hand are Hornady cases, CCI 400 primers, Nolster 120 gr. Ballistic Tips, and Hodgdon Hybrid 100V. I use Hybrid 100V in my .260 Rem and really like it, but I did some searches for info on it here and didn't find anything. Is it just a bad powder to use for the 6.5 Grendel?

I believe it would have to slow of burn rate for the Grendel.

Comment

My first impression is also that Hybrid 100V is on the slow side.

Some folks are getting about 2600 ft/sec with the 120 gr in a 24-in barrel using AA2520 (see http://ammoguide.com/?catid=456). Other powders should get close to that.

Now, if it will take 6-months to get another pound of powder, then one might be obliged to accept a somewhat lower muzzle velocity.

Comment

• Rockwall Arms

I can go to the store and get more powder, I just have lots of Hybrid 100v on hand. So I need something that burns faster?

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

To maximize the Grendel, yes.

Three powders seem to be the current favorites: AA2520, XBR 8208, and Leverlution, with the last two really only taking off in the last 6 months.

Ramshot Xterminator and TAC have been long time favorites, with the Xterminator working well for lighter 90-110 grain bullets and TAC for heavier.

BLC2 is ultra accurate in the Grendel, and creates good velocities, but has lost favor because it is dirtier than the others. It also tends to be a little temperature sensitive.

AA2520, TAC, Xterm and possibly Leverlution can also be temp sensitive. XBR is one of the extreme powders and is supposedly less so.

BTW, welcome to the forum!! Hope you enjoy your Grendel!

Comment

Curiosity got the better of me, and I ran Hybrid 100V for the Grendel in QuickLoad. Looks like you'll lose 400-500 ft/sec compared to an optimum powder. Pressures are way down too. Case just won't hold enough!

(Keep in mind all the caveats with QuickLoad and note that neither absolute velocities nor specific velocities are mentioned here!)

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X