Hornady 120gr. A-Max and 123gr. A-Max Bullet Length ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady 120gr. A-Max and 123gr. A-Max Bullet Length ?

Hello Fellas, anyone know the bullet length(s) of the 120gr. and 123gr. Hornady A-Max...I plan to buy a box or two and would like to get some feedback on both if possible.

Also, is true that some guys have been having trouble with the A-Max's sticking
    to the lands/rifling in the Grendel chamber(s) ?

Thanks.

Sorry for the triple tap guys...

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

The 120's are a bit blunt for the Grendel. The 123's are designed specifically for the Grendel. I've only heard of problems with the 120's.

Comment

My Grendel shoots the 120 A-MAXs better than the 123 A-MAXs. Much better! I'm gonna play with the 123s a little more though.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRLars View Post
          My Grendel shoots the 120 A-MAXs better than the 123 A-MAXs. Much better! I'm gonna play with the 123s a little more though.
          Entirely possible, it is more like the 120 Sierra, a bit of a blunt boat, but that makes them a bit more forgiving as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            Entirely possible, it is more like the 120 Sierra, a bit of a blunt boat, but that makes them a bit more forgiving as well.
            How about the 120 SMK? Any load data or range reports for 8208 loads?

Comment

Originally posted by davidj View Post
              How about the 120 SMK? Any load data or range reports for 8208 loads?
              There was a lot of data about that 120SMK/8208 on the forum before it was attacked. There should be plenty of feedback on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr69er View Post
                Hello Fellas, anyone know the bullet length(s) of the 120gr. and 123gr. Hornady A-Max...I plan to buy a box or two and would like to get some feedback on both if possible.

Also, is true that some guys have been having trouble with the A-Max's sticking
                to the lands/rifling in the Grendel chamber(s) ?

Thanks.
                Just measured a few 123gr AMAX's. They consistently mic at 1.245" and the ogive seems to measure about .650" from bearing surface to the bullet tip.

Comment

okay-i'm at point of loading first rounds for grendel and am at a stopping point. some data i gathered on chamber from hornady oal gauge shows following:
                  120 gr hornady amax: 2.170 to lands
                  107 gr sierra mk: 2.2875 to lands
                  123 gr sierra mk: 2.2755 to lands
                  120 gr older nosler bt: 2.2935 to lands
                  picked up 14pc hornady ogive measuring kit and was shipped 2ea 7mm and no 6.5 insert and even hornady doesn't have one to send. my quandry is that 120 hornady requires seating to 2.17 or 2.165 to stay off the lands and this is substantially shorter than any of the loaded length data i'm seeing out there. was going to try 28.0 tac, which i've loaded some 120gr nosler bt's with, but am feeling a bit cautious about the short length/intrusion into powder space at this short length. any comments out there, as this doesn't seem to be an issue with 123gr amax's, but the ogival length of two is vastly different. any counsel appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X