• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acourvil
    Warrior
    • Dec 2013

Lapua Brass / Case guage

I just ran some new Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass through a case gauge, and unlike my 260 Rem, where the brass looks perfect, I'm seeing the base drop slightly below the gauge opening (by maybe .002"), and the top of the neck slightly above (by about the same amount). The overall length is fine, so this appears to me to indicate that the shoulder is slightly low, although I don't have the right tools to really measure that, or to verify that the case gauge is exactly right (it's a Wilson case gauge).

Should I worry about reloading this brass? The same is true in two different boxes.
  • maverick5582

My new Lapua Grendel brass measures the same with the Wilson case gauge.

Comment

• tackdriver
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

Sneaky says $3.00/lb for recycle brass so I will give each of you $10/box+ shipping for your useless brass.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

When I size AA/ Lapua brass in my Hornady dies I have to raise the die a little to keep from getting a ripple in the case just above the extractor groove. Hornady brass doesn't do this, I read Lapua brass is thicker.

Comment

• acourvil
          Warrior
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by maverick5582 View Post
          My new Lapua Grendel brass measures the same with the Wilson case gauge.
          So maybe it's the case gauge that's slightly off? The brass itself seems very consistent. I also measured some Precision loaded ammo, and while it's a bit harder to tell with loaded ammo, it looks like the Lapua brass they are using has the same dimensions.

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

Are you setting the gage and case head on the same surface when you check case length?
            www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• SG4247
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

I have noticed some issues with case gauges in Grendel.

In speaking with Sheridian engineering recently, they realized that their case gauge was made to Pre SAAMI dimensions.

This means that their gauge is made to old AA dimensions which are tighter than current SAAMI. As a result they have updated the instructions for their Grendel case gauge.

While this may or may not apply to the wilson gauge and what you are seeing, I'm not sure. What is for sure is that the RCBS precision mic is an excellent tool for checking Grendel brass, (.001" resolution) and I can give you information on how to make that work for Grendel brass.

Just PM me for the PM info if interested.
              NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

Working...
              X