• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrDraco
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

Hornady 123 A-Max vs 140 A-Max

Hello,

This is my first Grendel build and I eventually want to reload once I get stocked up on supplies. I prefer the A-Max bullets but I can't decide between 123 grain and 140 for the Grendel. What are some pros and cons between the two?

When evaluating between them please these things in mind;

- This build is being built for long range target shooting (500+ yards and I'm hoping a good bit of 800-1,000 yard shots as well)

- I am using a Alexander Arms upper with a 24" barrel and WCI muzzle brake.

- And for reloading supplies I will be using Accurate 2520 powder, CCI 450 Primers and Hornady brass.

Thank you for any and all help you may supply.

Draco
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

140's are too heavy. You can't push them hard enough to take advantage of their improved BC over the 123. Shoot 123's and you'll be very happy.

I shoot a 28" Grendel, and shoot the 123's, (Hornady, Sierra, and Lapua...haven't decided which it likes best yet) and 107 Sierras, which it loves. Sub .25 inch groups with the 107's at 100 yards.

I'm shooting it in a match at 300 and 600 tomorrow, in fact.

Comment

Make us proud, Bill.

Comment

+1 on the 140's being too heavy and long for the Grendel. The ideal bullet weights and common lengths within those parameters for the Grendel are in the 95-123gr class. Velocity is a significant factor in true BC, so strapping a super aerodynamic rocket body to a model rocket "C" engine will do you no good. I have achieved some fairly decent velocities with the 120gr SMK's out of my 16" Grendel (in the mid 2500's fps), so there are actually some great bullets for the Grendel platform. Just don't fool yourself about the cartridge's limitations and capabilities, and it can be a lot of fun...basically a .308 trajectory out of an AR15, with half the recoil.

Your 1st-round hit probability with the Grendel will be best within 400-600 yards, provided you have good optics, mounts, and skills. From there on out, the wind will be your biggest obstacle. In low, constant wind conditions, 800yds is possible, but will be very dependent upon the conditions. 1000yds is really pushing it, and impact is very faint on steel with the Grendel at that range.

Comment

• KillerMedic

You definately want the 123 over the 140 AMAX for all the above reasons and my reason below.

Had a good day at the range Sunday. I practiced for Camp Perry in rapid sitting and rapid prone with the Service Rifle. Then I proof tested and checked zero on a friends Springfield '03-A3. Man was that a hoot. LC M2 ball driving that steel buttplate into the shoulder and ringing the steel gongs from 300 out to 500yds. It was a

Medic...out!

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
            Make us proud, Bill.
            Doubtful! Lol!!

First real match of the year after a sons wedding this spring, a nieces wedding (who is as much daughter as niece, she lived with us for two years of high school), house remodeling, etc. Today was the first day I actually shot the Grendel at anything over 100 yards in three months!

I'm just hoping to be n paper! It's an "any rifle" match, so I'll be shooting against some big dogs, I'm afraid.

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

Draco.. You will probably not be disappointed with the performance of the 123 Amax's. Everyone else's advice that the 140's are too heavy for the Grendel are spot on. However, with the 123's it will reach out and touch at further than most people think. I'm getting regular hits on a 12 inch steel at 950, with both Amax's and Scenars, though the Scenars were slightly better at that range for me. Granted, the wind has been nice to me, but if you get much of a breeze it will blow anything around (including a .308) at that distance. Tomorrow we are going to the same spot, and since my friend is going to see how far his 7 mag will shoot I'm going to do the same with my Grendel. Should be interesting!

I would strongly advise you to buy a pound of IMR 8208 XBR. It's far cleaner, more temperature stable, and gets better velocity than AA2520. I'm a solid 100 FPS faster with 8208 than 2520. With my 20 inch bbl I'm showing 2630 FPS with an extreme spread in the single digits at a charge weight of 28.5gr. I would think you should be able to get close to 2700 with a 24 inch bbl. As a side benefit, it meters really well too...

-LRS

Comment

• MrDraco
                Warrior
                • Jul 2011

Thanks guys.

So 123 it is.

Comment

Working...
                X