Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelmew

Reloading Press

I am finally able to purchase a reloading press (actually my wife is getting one for my bday.) I am new to reloading, so I can use any advise or tips I can get.

Based on what I've read online, I think that the best option would be a turret press. The time constraints with the single stage really turn me off. The lack of precision control with a progressive really turns me off. It seems like the turret combines a little of both. I don't like the idea of buying a single stage and then having to upgrade to a progressive to crank out pistol rounds that dont require as much precision later. Wouldnt turret be the solution?

So, if turret is the way to go, who makes a quality, not break-the-bank, model? Or does anyone know of a good sale that would make a high end one affordable?

If it makes and difference, I've got Dillion Type S dies for the grendel. I've got Lee dies for one of my pistol calibers and I'm not sure what for another caliber. I also want to expand to more pistol calibers and 30-30, .223/5.56, and a big bore like 450 Bush or 458 SOCOM or 50 Beo.

Any advice is apreciated.

-michaelmew
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2011, 10:00 PM.

Turret is definitely the way to go for precision rifle and single-stage reloading. It will allow you to have your de-priming/sizing die and bullet seating die for different calibers ready to go. I personally would lean to the Redding T-7 or the RCBS. If I was doing it again, I would buy the Redding T-7, as my friends' give the best feel and solid construction impression when re-sizing or loading on them. I'm not sure what the budget is, but Midway USA often has sales where you get 10% off of $100-$500 purchases.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by michaelmew View Post
      I am finally able to purchase a reloading press (actually my wife is getting one for my bday.) I am new to reloading, so I can use any advise or tips I can get.

Based on what I've read online, I think that the best option would be a turret press. The time constraints with the single stage really turn me off. The lack of precision control with a progressive really turns me off. It seems like the turret combines a little of both. I don't like the idea of buying a single stage and then having to upgrade to a progressive to crank out pistol rounds that dont require as much precision later. Wouldnt turret be the solution?

So, if turret is the way to go, who makes a quality, not break-the-bank, model? Or does anyone know of a good sale that would make a high end one affordable?

If it makes and difference, I've got Dillion Type S dies for the grendel. I've got Lee dies for one of my pistol calibers and I'm not sure what for another caliber. I also want to expand to more pistol calibers and 30-30, .223/5.56, and a big bore like 450 Bush or 458 SOCOM or 50 Beo.

Any advice is apreciated. -michaelmew
      MM:

I use a Redding T-7 but I also have a couple of progressives and other single stage presses. That said, my work horse is the Redding T-7.

I do not recommend a progressive for someone new to handloading. You can get into trouble real fast with a progressive unless you know what to pay attention to and when so your decision is a sound one.

The T-7 is basically a single stage press with a tool head. You won't be flipping the turret on a T-7 around but will do one stage at a time just like a single stage press. The advantage over the other turrets on the market is that the T-7 is a heavy, strong, and solid turret press. However, it is expensive and does not come with anything else.

I have recommended the Lyman T Mag 2 Turret Press Kit to guys in the past as it contains the equipment you need and the equipment is pretty good. In other words, you won't have a need to trade up for a while. Basically, it is probably the best overall turret kit you can get. The press is not as big or heavy as the Redding and the measure is a bit different to work than conventional measures but all in all, it is a decent kit for the money.

I am not sure if there is an adapter for the powder measure that fits onto the turret or not. Probably not which means you will be removing the brass once sized and primed to charge, then inserting the brass back into the shell holder for seating. It may be a good thing as it allows you to inspect the brass for powder fill before seating. It will be a bit faster than a single stage but don't expect to load three hundred an hour with one.

LR55

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Mike I have the Lyman turret. It's fine. I ended up with a blank spot, after setting it up for the 8th time,( moving the dies around the way I thought was best) , and put the rcbs uniflow powder charger on with no problems.

Comment

• Budmccarroll
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2011

Lee Classic Turret all the way...

Comment

I have a Dillon 650 and a RCBS Rockchucker, I also love my Redding Dies, I have others that are nice, but the Reddings are just that much better.

I load a lot of 5.56mm a thousand at a time.

When I load Grendel it is usually 500 at a time.

For .308win and .270win it will only be 100 at a time.

Comment

I, too, am planning on learning to reload.i hate having to order ammo for the grendel. If I have to order, I might as well just start reloading! I first looked at single stage presses, and figure that I'll out grow those pretty fast. So, I have been looking at progressive presses, instead. The hornady lock n load ap looks like a great deal.......features of a dillon 650 for the price of a dillon 550. I am leaning to the hornady, but someone just mentioned turret presses. What is the difference with a turret press as compared to a progressive press?

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
                I, too, am planning on learning to reload.i hate having to order ammo for the grendel. If I have to order, I might as well just start reloading! I first looked at single stage presses, and figure that I'll out grow those pretty fast. So, I have been looking at progressive presses, instead. The hornady lock n load ap looks like a great deal.......features of a dillon 650 for the price of a dillon 550. I am leaning to the hornady, but someone just mentioned turret presses. What is the difference with a turret press as compared to a progressive press?
                QC:

What do you think the differences are between a turret and a progressive?

LR55

Comment

• StoneTower

I have a Dillon 550. Even Dillion will tell you that the 550 does everything that most reloaders need. Because it does not index automatically, you can use it as a single stage press. This is very helpful for new reloaders and working up loads.

Once you get your reloading skills up to speed, you can crank out several hundred rounds an hour. It is also cheaper than the 650 to set up for additional calibers and faster to change between them.

There are videos that have all the steps:

Watch the videos, get a good reloading book and take your time, and you will do well.

You also need to be aware that the shell plates for 45 ACP, 308 Win, 30-06, 270 are the same so do not buy them twice. There are lots of parts that interchange between calibers so make sure that you look at the interchange chart so you don't waste money. The Grendel requires the A - 13211 shell plate with 2 - 14062 locator buttons.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Turret is definitely the way to go for precision rifle and single-stage reloading. It will allow you to have your de-priming/sizing die and bullet seating die for different calibers ready to go.
                    I was a long time turret user until I encountered the Forster Co-Ax. Dies changes faster than you can move a turret, and many other advantages. Not the cheapest, but it will last generations.

Comment

• gophernuts

I have a Forster and a T-Mag 2 kit also. The forster is a single stage but does a few things differently (better) than other presses. But for the "new guy" to reloading I will say that T-Mag 2 kit is pretty hard to beat. I will also tell you to try to get an RCBS trim mate station because it will make your reloading so much more productive.

Comment

Go to:

Shows the differences and how to operate several types of reloaders.

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                          QC:

What do you think the differences are between a turret and a progressive?

LR55
                          Don't know. That's why I asked. Unfortunately, I've seen a turret press. I've watched a progressive in action and I've watched a single stage in action.
                          What I have seen (in pictures) of turret presses, it looks like the turret holds multiple dies, like a progressive.......but maybe you can only work on a single bullet at a time.

Comment

• DirectDrive

Don't know. That's why I asked. Unfortunately, I've seen a turret press. I've watched a progressive in action and I've watched a single stage in action.
                            What I have seen (in pictures) of turret presses, it looks like the turret holds multiple dies, like a progressive.......but maybe you can only work on a single bullet at a time.
                            I think you've got it.
                            After reading this thread and viewing the Redding T-7 in action, I am in want.

A progressive is not a good idea for a beginner, IMO.
                            A single station is great for developing "feel" and a turret would be nice as well if it fit the budget.
                            Couldn't help but notice the semi-retired single station in the background in one of those turret videos.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

QC:

You got the functional differences very clearly.

Now, which one do you think is 'safer' to use in terms of ensuring your primers are seated deeply enough and that you didn't overcharge or undercharge a case?

LR55

Comment

Working...
                              X