Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gophernuts

I'm looking for an 8208 CCI 450 lapua brass recipe for 123gr a max

Just looking for a place to start at. I know a lot of people swear by this powder so I'm giving it a go. I appreciate the help in advance.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

GN:

Groundhog day again.

28 grains of 8208 XBR with any small rifle primer.

Run a search and you will find more info but that is the basic load.

LR55

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

28.5gr 8208
      CCI 450
      Lap brass
      123 Amax
      about 1.5 thou of neck tension, no crimp
      COAL 2.268

This is a hummer of a load in my rifle... yesterday I made 4 consecutive hits on my 12 inch steel at 950 yards, with 34 MOA of adjustment. I forgot my rear bag, so if I had that I am sure that it would have been even better.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

My load is 123gr amax w 28.5gr 8208 w cci400. Four hits in one hole at 100 yards. Average 2572fps, sd 17, mad 15, es 35. Great load.
        I also like 25.0gr. Of 8208 behind a 140gr amax for 2260fps.
        Doc

Comment

Assuming case capacity of Lapua is near that of Hornady brass and assuming CCI450 primers are hot like Remington 7 1/2s, here's what works best for me.

65 Deg F
          123 Amax @ 2.29 COL
          Hornady Brass
          Flash Holes Deburred & Primer Pockets Normalized
          29gr 8208XBR
          2602 Avg velocity (24" medium contour AR Stoner barrel)
          SD 13

100 yd Groups like the one on the left:

The fliers were courtesy of the fellow next to me banging away with a Sako 338 Lapua Magnum.

Hoot
          Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2011, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• RangerRick

Hi Doc,

What's your barrel length?

Rick

Comment

I am shooting a lothar walthar 24" bbl
              Doc

Comment

Originally posted by LRS_Ranger View Post
                28.5gr 8208
                CCI 450
                Lap brass
                123 Amax
                about 1.5 thou of neck tension, no crimp
                COAL 2.268

This is a hummer of a load in my rifle... yesterday I made 4 consecutive hits on my 12 inch steel at 950 yards, with 34 MOA of adjustment. I forgot my rear bag, so if I had that I am sure that it would have been even better.
                I have been loading the same(except in honady brass). My JBM (G7) calculations for 2570 fps , 82 F, 6600 MSL, 200 yard zero are as follows:

600 yds 10.6MOA (I use 13 MOA)
                800 17MOA (I use 20.5)
                900 20.4MOA (I use 25.5)
                1000 23.9MOA (haven't tried yet)

How come there is such disparity?? Just when I begin to think I am starting to understand this stuff I end up back at square one.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2011, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                  I have been loading the same(except in honady brass). My JBM (G7) calculations for 2570 fps , 82 F, 6600 MSL, 200 yard zero are as follows:

600 yds 10.6MOA (I use 13 MOA)
                  800 17MOA (I use 20.5)
                  900 20.4MOA (I use 25.5)
                  1000 23.9MOA (haven't tried yet)

How come there is such disparity?? Just when I begin to think I am starting to understand this stuff I end up back at square one.
                  Are you using the correct settings on your calculator to match your scope? MOA does not equal IN/100yds.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                    Are you using the correct settings on your calculator to match your scope? MOA does not equal IN/100yds.
                    Now that you say that...I don't know. It is a MOA scope and the Calculator output is in MOA. I thought they were compatible.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                      Now that you say that...I don't know. It is a MOA scope and the Calculator output is in MOA. I thought they were compatible.
                      More than likely that's not the problem. If it were, for example, the difference would be ~ 1 MOA at 900yd, not 5.

What G7 BC are you using for the Amax? I've only seen G1 BC's listed (.510). If you're just plugging the .510 G1 BC in as a G7 BC you're going to get way better calculations than what will really happen.

edit: when I plug all of your info in and use a .510 G1 BC, it gives me 26.2 MOA for 900yd, much closer. And to be honest I'd only expect calculators to be within 1 MOA (if everything is done properly) regardless.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtn_shooter View Post
                        More than likely that's not the problem. If it were, for example, the difference would be ~ 1 MOA at 900yd, not 5.

What G7 BC are you using for the Amax? I've only seen G1 BC's listed (.510). If you're just plugging the .510 G1 BC in as a G7 BC you're going to get way better calculations than what will really happen.

edit: when I plug all of your info in and use a .510 G1 BC, it gives me 26.2 MOA for 900yd, much closer. And to be honest I'd only expect calculators to be within 1 MOA (if everything is done properly) regardless.
                        Thank you, That was the problem. I was unaware that the G7 BC was approximately 1/2 half of stated BC. Running the program at G1 and .510 puts ALL my readings back where they belong. Also running the G7 at about .25-.26 brings them close.
                        Anyone know the G7 BC for the 123 AMAX??

Comment

Working...
                        X