Whats it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats it take?

What all does it take to be able to accomplish re-loads. Is it expensive to get started? Obviously it takes special equipment, but what about special facilities? What is the danger factor for testing someones rounds when they are first built?
  • Clod Stomper

It isn't terribly difficult, but you can damage yourself pretty easily by making simple mistakes. I suggest reading and researching thoroughly first before buying any equipment. If you can find someone in your area who is an experienced handloader, they may be willing to guide you through the learning process.

It also isn't very expensive, but you don't want to skimp on necessary equipment. The danger factor depends on the knowledge of the person building the ammo.

I usually recommend the Lyman Reloading manual for a starting place for beginners. It is pretty thorough. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=217655

Will

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Reloading isn't rocket science, it doesn't take a genius, or I sure wouldn't be doing it!

What it does take is commitment and dedication to safety. It's not something you do while you are goofing off and talking with your buddies, its not something you should be doing while you are distracted by family issues or other problems. It requires that you focus on what you are doing.

There are some simple steps that will protect you from major mistakes, but that must ALWAYS be followed. Things like....Never have two types of powder on the reloading bench or open at the same time, never have two different cartridges on the reloading bench at the same time, (because you might put the wrong powder in one of them!). etc.

If you have a local gun shop, many of them run reloading seminars, check around and see.

If not, many gun clubs or ranges have experienced hand loaders who are willing to help a new guy get started, check that out.

Start with either a single stage or a turret press (which allows you to mount all your dies at one time, without having to switch dies at each stage.) Turret presses are single stage presses, too.

DO NOT start with a progressive.

Go slow, read all the books or videos you can. (YouTube has some good videos, and I sometimes watch them just to pick up little tips about efficiency, but a new hand loader could learn lots quickly there!)

Comment

Bill's advice is superb!

You've already overcome the biggest hurdle by willing to ask for advice and suggestions. Get the help he suggests and you'll be a lot more comfortable.

Reloading, for some, is at least half the fun of shooting!

Cheers!

Comment

• StoneTower

"DO NOT start with a progressive"....I usually agree, but if you know that you will be needing a progressive a Dillon 550 with manual indexing can be used as a single stage and when you get the hang of it, you can really start to crank out the rounds. I don't like to "buy twice" so that was how I started and I have been very happy. I still use it as a single stage when I need to load up a few test rounds.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

StoneTower,

I agree, that might be the exception. BUT....boy you can get in a lot of trouble fast if you aren't very cautious when you start with a progressive!

Comment

Progressive presses are useful when you have a load you will use a lot and aren't likely to change from time to time. They can be a real pain when using for load development. You may also find the single stage being just the ticket for those small runs of odd loads for the other rifles and pistols you have.

You will want a single stage even if you use and are comfortable with a progressive press!

If for no other reason, new load development is much easier with a C-frame press and powder scale.

If you are sure you will go to a progressive, then the very smartest thing you can do is get a quality single stage press. Buy off of eBay if you don't want to spend a lot of dollars.

You will be a lot happier with both.

Comment

Just me, but-
                I only use a Rockchucker Supreme single stage press. I shoot quite a bit either practicing or competing (60-100 rounds weekly, weather permitting), but I personally do not see a need for a progressive press. I like each load being as consistent as possible. Trying to hit a 3" circle at 600 yards doesn't leave much room for error.

And for what it's worth, when I started reloading I was probably the poster child for if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Crushed case shoulders (and I mean crushed!!), primers too deep in the pocket (don't ask), you name it. But all my issues were around the actual reloading process, not the load itself. But I had some folks who didn't make fun of me and worked with me on fixing what was wrong. Today I am very confident in my loads. Never be afraid to ask a question.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Dittos on the Rock ChuckerRCBS. It can be bought as a pretty complete kit with all but the Grendel dies. I enjoy the precision it allows for each cartrige. 50-100rds/wk is about all the range time I can manage. When you are starting out, most of your time will be spent on finding the right combination of bullets and powders for your needs (hunting vs competition). Most of your loads will be in sets of 5-10 rounds for each bullet/powder combination, so you probably won't be pumping out volumes of rounds of a particular load for a while, but don't worry, you'll enjoy every minute you shoot it.
                  One of the other considerations on your to buy list, will be a chronograph to find the velocities of each load. I was lucky and had a friend give me an extra he had. It was a challenge to learn to set it up on a busy range day. Now its second nature. It is worth having for finding the best load for your rifle. What ever you decide on, you will be shooting the Gren more than you think, it's a great rifle with great potential.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

DON'T DO IT MAN!!!!!! It's an addiction that no 12 step program can cure. It starts simply enough and before you know it......you're standing there at reloaders anonymous saying "Hi I'm Bob and I turn every neck and check for bullet concentricity" After that it's off to the Old Reloader's Home where you'll argue the merits of G1 vs G7 BC and the orialis effect.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

I use a Rockchucker Supreme also, loading 5.56, Grendel, 30-30, .308, and 7mm WSM. (I probably forgot a few, too.)

BUT....Doing it over, I'd buy a Forster CoAx because of the automatic shellholder, snapin/snapout die mechanism, and the primer catch mechanism.

It's only about $50-100 more than the Rockchucker, but those things make it worth it to me.

Comment

I really appreciate all the info. There isnt much fishing in Clovis NM so I think I found a new hobby.

Comment

Clovis is waay out there -- Lubbock to the East and ABQ to the west. Lot's of plinking, some hunting. Not much water. Gets warm in the summer. Is Cannon AFB still around?

Comment

Originally posted by Peck1631 View Post
                            I think I found a new hobby.
                            If you look at it that way and not as a chore, you will find it to be quite therapeutic. At least I do.

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

I left Cannon AFB in 2007 as they were drawing down (F-16s a victim of BRAC)...but the "shifty fifty" committee managed to save the base and get USAF Special Ops to move out there. They have a variety of helo's, C-130s, light transport as well as CV-22 Osprey. There were plans for Predator to move there, but I'm not sure that has happened. Great location for Afghan/Iraq scenario training...
                              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                              X