Reloading Room Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloading Room Pics?

Any interst a thread of these? They seem popular on other boards. Just askin'....

Greg
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I'd love to see ideas! I'm in the process of a home remodel and plan on turning a big piece of the current garage into my reloading room.

Comment

I have a small area that I work with. It usually meets my needs.

Greg

Comment

wow GL! that's quite a collection. The lava lamp and the garfield clock truly set you apart from lesser reloading rooms though!

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

"A small area" huh? I'll take a pic of my humble setup if I get the chance...

Comment

Wow! Buy a press for each caliber? What are those 3 blue presses in the middle?

Comment

Thanks for the comments. The Garfield is actually a phone I bought for my daughter when she was 8 so that would be right on 29 years ago. She gave it back when she graduated from college. Apparently to educated to use such a fine piece of electronics. It is always nice to know that you are speaking in to a cats' butt when you talk!!

The lava light sets the ambiance for loading Old School stuff. I had it on the other day when I was loading some PPC ammo. Same load I started with in 1975. It is relaxing to watch the lava work.

The three blue presses in the middle are Dillon 300's. They are the first model that Dillon produced. Lots of machine work vs cast in them. They are more manual operated with a manual primer set up along with a manual powder measure. I have upgraded to a Lee Auto Powder Measure on two of them for pistol stuff and I have added an auto set up for the Dillon measure. One is dedicated 45, one is 38 Special and one for 223 based cartridges though it does get changed at times.

I got my first 300 in 1982 after getting but hard by the IPSC bug in 1980. I also started shooting PPC about that time and needed huge amounts of ammo. Those years I was shooting around 35,000+ a year. I was told that Dillon only made 300 of these one day when I was over at Dillon's shop. though I find that hard to believe. If that is so I own 1% of their production run.

The first two 300's were bought because I didn't want to change the dies etc. over. The shell plates are what are used on the 550 so I can swap them all over the place. BTW the 550 cost me $50.00 for it and the big Dillon tumbler one day.

I am a firm believer in saving time in set up so have worked to make it happen. The two Lyman AA Turrets do yeoman duty for small runs and the one on the big bench is set up with seaters for 22, 20 Tactical/204 Ruger and 6X45. My 650 has a half dozen heads that are set up for various 223 based rounds and also the Dillon trimmer rig.

The STAR has an altered tool head and it is dedicated to 9X21 for my IPSC pistols. The Dillon feeder was put in place to eliminate the Phelps case feeder bowl. It was way to slow.

As you can see I only do a bit of shotgun stuff. IN the pic my 9000G is set back as I have been loading 28 gauge lately. I also have a small MEC set up for 2": 12 gauge shells I use in my IPSC matches at times.

Just a bit of stuff. I have a Rock Chucker I need to set up and a Big Max RCBS that I use for case swaging at times. The Big Max is just so large that I don't want to leave it in place all the time.

Greg

PS: It is not always this neat!!

Comment

After seeing GLShooter's setup, I'd be embarrassed to show mine. I've only got one single stage press and only load 2 calibers.

Comment

Heck I do not even load all the calibers I have right now.

But I will soon

I think I will do my .270win and .308win in a combination of the RCBS rockchucker and the Dillon 650xl
                  I will deprime and size on the 650, then prime using my hand primer, then use the RCBS powder dispenser and then seat on the 650.

I could do it all on the 650 but I need to get my charges more exact using the 650, I tend to see a variance of 0.1grains at times.

I still need to super polish all my powder dies and funnels.

Comment

• Budmccarroll
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2011

I'm with RSteart, if thats small, I'd rather not show mine.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Here's my modest setup. I've filled the shelves more since, with lot's of brass in hand me down pencil boxes, and more powder & bullets added. (and probably some more dies).

Several drawers with brass, primers, less frequently used tools, etc below the bench.

And yes, the wallpaper is fabulous! It's in a storage room which had been setup as a sewing room by the previous owners.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by pinzgauer; 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
                        After seeing GLShooter's setup, I'd be embarrassed to show mine. I've only got one single stage press and only load 2 calibers.
                        I wouldn't be getting too embarrassed. What you see is 35+ years of accumulation and a huge amount of competitive shooting. Mots guys would do well for their needs with 1/4 of what I had and they would still have a surplus.

I had to focus on quantity and quality early on. I found the progressives dis all I needed in those area. I loaded on a single stage for a bit but the second the 300 rounds/week hit it gt way to slow for me.

Concentrate on quality output and the ability to use what you have for more than one activity. For instance and 243 seater by Hornady will seat any 243 case. You don't need separate eaters and you could juts by the sizers to extend your $$'s. I am lazy and I bought a lot of this just to avoid swapping dies etc. My time was a lot more valuable back then. Being retired I could get buy with a lot less today.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
                          Here's my modest setup. I've filled the shelves more since, with lot's of brass in hand me down pencil boxes, and more powder & bullets added. (and probably some more dies).

And yes, the wallpaper is fabulous! It's in a storage room which had been setup as a sewing room by the previous owners.
                          That is a very nice workable area. It will let you handle about any task you need. My wifes has one of those sewing areas but thank goodness no wall paper!!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post

that is sweet wallpaper.......it makes for a "happy place." lol

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Hey you guys are lucky. I'm in the garage reloading from March till Oct. Winters a bugger here, so I bring all the toys inside before I hibernate some , after turkey day. Wife said no way in hell will I reload in HER house (nest). I did get an 8 ft. bench, that's hard to keep organized, but the space is great, as I always seem to have too many projects going on. hee.

Comment

Working...
                              X