What is the max COAL for the 6.5 grendel C-Products magazine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the max COAL for the 6.5 grendel C-Products magazine?

hey guys, wanting to know if anyone has any experience or references where I can find this information without trial and error of loading some rounds and seeing if they will cycle in my magazines... i read somewhere on the net that the c-products 6.8 mag will allow for a max coal of 2.850 and read somewhere else that the 6.8 and 6.5 use the same magazines, just different followers. does anyone know if it will cycle up to that long? thanks

Originally posted by in.dmand View Post
    hey guys, wanting to know if anyone has any experience or references where I can find this information without trial and error of loading some rounds and seeing if they will cycle in my magazines... i read somewhere on the net that the c-products 6.8 mag will allow for a max coal of 2.850 and read somewhere else that the 6.8 and 6.5 use the same magazines, just different followers. does anyone know if it will cycle up to that long? thanks
    Wherever you read that 2.850" was max COAL for a 6.8 mag was absolutely incorrect, at least for an AR-15 mag. 2.800" is .308 COAL territory.

For AR-15 mags, I don't like to exceed 2.260", but I have heard that 6.8 PRI mags will allow a longer COAL than that.

Comment

• gophernuts

I'm running mine at 2.60 but only for my 5 rounders. My hi-caps are getting about 2.55'ish. No issues thus far other than the slow breaking in of my hi-cap mags.

Comment

Originally posted by gophernuts View Post
        I'm running mine at 2.60 but only for my 5 rounders. My hi-caps are getting about 2.55'ish. No issues thus far other than the slow breaking in of my hi-cap mags.
        Are those PRI mags? I'm not sure I can even get that much mic spread inside my CProducts mags.

Just measured one of my 25-rounders.... 2.311" max inside length of the mag, which I would have to go under to allow the cartridges to move freely without scraping the projectile meplats.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2011, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Ding Ding Ding!

I would like to see one of those since my mag well will only accommodate a magazine that the outside dimensions are 2.41 or less. In my .300 OSSM, I did the c_bass16 mod on it's magazine to get 2.40 COL. For those unfamiliar with his mod, you cut a slit up the front to let the bullet tips stick through and into that notch that goes up the front of the magwell. Trouble it that notch stops at the receiver and you have to relieve a small amount of metal on the receiver up to the barrel extension to take advantage of it. The other issue is it is designed for single stack calibers, otherwise the slit would have to be wider to accommodate the staggered tips and then you could not utilize the notch since it is usually not wide enough to fit the staggered tips in. Even if you don't utilize that extra notch depth, you can gain COLs in the area of 2.35 by just letting the tips occupy the space where the front mag wall was. Look at the link and it will all make sense if you're interested. It's not a hard mod to do well, just hard for some folks to accept removing any metal on their receivers, but I digress.

My guess is that gophernuts may have a decimal place misplaced and is missing the leading 2 as in 2.26 not 2.6 ???

I'd be tickled to discover a better mod all the same. How about a picture or two if my guess is wrong.

Hoot

Comment

• gophernuts

Indeed I was wrong....2.260 is the longest i go.

Comment

Well, I know at least my c products magazine will accommodate 2.265 coal because thats what I loaded my 123gr lapua rounds to. Guess I'll have to guess or do trial and error to find out what it will truly hold without the tip scraping.

Comment

Working...
              X