Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Alexander

Economy Ammunition

Ok, not a true economy round but something I am thinking about running once a year to liven up the summer and pre-empt hunting season. Anyway I was looking at a limited run of 50k-100k of a Hornady brass cased round. Either with a Nosler partition or maybe a 115 grain Berger as a factory special. The run would be a once a year deal, for the single batch size only and once it has sold that would be it until next year. Probably only priced for MSRP with no dealer bands to keep the price as low as possible.

Any input!

Bill Alexander
  • jwilson1985

bill any ammo we can get for these weapon 50beo and 6.5 grendel i own both im all for as long as it does not say wolf on it....
    What kind of wait time would we be looking at also

john wilson
    loki weapon systems

Comment

Hey Bill,
      Since you are looking at using Hornady brass for a hunting round, how about having Hornady do a special edition 123g SST.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by steel89 View Post
        Hey Bill,
        Since you are looking at using Hornady brass for a hunting round, how about having Hornady do a special edition 123g SST.
        Having Hornady make a special run bullet would probably make this ammo more spendy than the moderate cost ammo that AA wants. Maybe Hornady could do that with the SST, but I bet it would be equivalent to the regular AA ammo.

A 115 grain Berger could simply be the 120 with less lead, formed on the same dies they already use. For all I know, maybe the SST could be done the same way, though.

Partition doesn't have much interest for me, but I don't hunt, so maybe there would be some interest from the deer hunters?

Comment

Bill,

The 115 Berger would be nice I think. Nice mid-weight projectile, can be used for hunting and cutting paper from 16" to 26" blasters while fulfilling the needs of both types of shooters. With that weight, you could achieve substantial velocities, even in the 16" carbines, and easily in the longer pipes. If you do the Berger factory special as a hunting VLD, it will work well for both types of shooters, which is probably what you were planning anyway. Thanks for the solicitation of input from end-users.

LRRPF52

Comment

• gophernuts

I guess I don't think to many people are looking hard for 115gr bullets. The biggest demand is 123gr A-Max and scenars as far as I know. I have to agree with steel89 about the 123gr special edition hunting around from hornady. I would be all over that in a minute. Good to see you on here Bill.

Comment

this is good news. Prices on grendel ammo is dropping. The Hornady 123 Amax ammo can be found for between $16-$18 (box of 20) nowadays....from several vendors.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
                this is good news. Prices on grendel ammo is dropping. The Hornady 123 Amax ammo can be found for between $16-$18 (box of 20) nowadays....from several vendors.
                Where, pray tell?

Comment

• StoneTower

How about talking to Barnes and getting them to make a 110gr TTXS with a profile specific for the Grendel. How about a 110gr Nosler partition with a plastic ballistic tip that is more semi-auto friendly. Since we are talking about wishes

A Barnes MRX bullet in about 110-120 would be nice too. The "filling" (silvex) is denser-than lead and would make the lead free bullet smaller so we would have more case capacity and more OAL and still fit in the magazine.

Comment

I would really like having more ammunition options. Even a limited run like this would be great. If there was enough notice ahead of time, people could plan ahead to order a short case or two.

As many of us use the Grendels for practical rifle and other similar matches, you might give some thought to a low cost, good accuracy load. Something using the Hornady brass, and an accurate Hornady bullet would really help keep costs down. Although the Berger bullets are very accurate, they are noticeably more expensive than many of the Hornady offerings.

Comment

Work on developing the hunting rounds has left me with a few options. The 125g NP, the 120g Core-lokt and the 120g SPH which are solid, good penetrating, nice mushrooming and accurate rounds that still leave me wanting. What all three lack is the long distance performance found in the 123g AMAX and SMK. Neither of those are true hunting rounds and the 120g NBT has the great performance on paper but lacks what the SST would bring to the table in the 120-123g range. That is a penetrating hog round, long or short range, with the potential to take larger game as well at distance. I'm sure 'Sneaky one' would provide one of his cherrished ones for a sample. I'd spring for a half case of cartriges and would love a supply of the bullets for reloads.

Comment

• jwilson1985

bwaites ctd has them for 18 a box amax 123
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2011, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Bill Alexander,

Great idea!

True economy would take one to the least expensive bullet possible.

Another path is to trial new bullet weights and types.

Along that line, have there been any thoughts about the more modern 90-100 gr bullets in AMAX, TTSX, etc.?

Cheers!
                          Joe

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                            Where, pray tell?
                            google "hornady 123 ammo" and then click on the shopping tab.

I ordered 5 boxes from Big Supply Shop for $18 per box a few weeks ago. The price has come down since, too.( http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Hornady...0_p_14186.html ) Some other place has it for under $16, too.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• MrDraco
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2011

The cheapest I've been able to get Hornady ammo is at the local gun show for $20 a box, if I go late on the last day I've seen some vendors mark them down to $18 or $19 a box if you buy 5 or more.

I've seen several sites sell them for $17 a box but by the time you pay shipping you actually end up paying closer to $21 a box on a order of 5 boxes. I would have to order 10 boxes just to get them at the same price I can at the gun show.

Comment

Working...
                              X