Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunslinger

100 grain A-Max

I noticed a day or so ago that the 100 grain A-Max on midway had been "coming soon" for a while now but now they are available, i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, if anyone has, do you mind sharing load data?

Heck, I did not know they we going to make one.

It would certainly be an effective varmint round.

I am going to pull the tip out of a 123AMAX and see if I can lighten it up a little, maybe give it a spin test too

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have 2 boxes on the way.

What part of TX are you in Gunslinger?
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunslinger

Corpus Christi, how bout yourself?

Comment

• txgunslinger

I have some 8208, I am waiting on my dies to come in, as I have been holding off on reloading until I accumulated enough brass from factory ammo, I am real interested i using these in my reloads, lemme know how it goes once they come in!

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Leander- North of Austin

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
              Heck, I did not know they we going to make one.

It would certainly be an effective varmint round.

I am going to pull the tip out of a 123AMAX and see if I can lighten it up a little, maybe give it a spin test too
              I pulled the tip out of some 75g .223 Amax projos for sub-sonic loads. IIRC it lightened them less than a grain. Made them pop a jug of water really good though.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I received the bullets today. Here's a pic of them next to a 100 NBT.

100 Hornady a-max.jpg

Random selection of 5-

weight- 100.2,100.2,100.1,100.2,100.4

length- 1.047,1.047,1.047,1.044,1.047

bearing surface appears to be about .325"

Comment

txgunner00 were you away from the flames yesterday?

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by WillD View Post
                    txgunner00 were you away from the flames yesterday?
                    It was about a mile from my house. 2nd time this year it's got too close for comfort.

Comment

• txgunslinger

Well lets hope they work because my order just got put in. I believe if they present no problems, they should be the cats ass for light weight grendel bullets.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I have several sets of test loads ready. I hope to make it to the range this week.

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Range report.

I was able to shoot some test groups this weekend. They did OK but not great for me. First off, I had to seat them to 2.150 just to get them off the lands. I don't think this was necessarily a major problem but my 100 NBT's loads are seated at 2.260. The reduced case capacity caused pressure signs to show at a lower charge relative to the Noslers.

Of the 6 sets I shot, the best group was about .9 MOA and the worst was 1.6. None of the sets really seemed to "settle in" like I like to see.

Powder- 8208
                          Brass- fireformed IMI 7.62
                          Primer- Rem 9 1/2

28.5 grains= 2756 fps
                          29 grains= 2774 fps but started to show pressure- this is my load for Noslers & I get 2819 fps.

I could push them a little more with true Grendel brass but my intention was to make field loads using cheaper brass.

I have not decided if I will continue to use them after I shoot the 100 I bought. If I can get them to stay consistently sub MOA I will. Otherwise I will just stick with the Noslers even they are quite a bit more expensive ($36/100 vs $28/100).

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I like the Nosler 100 grain BT and I bet the Hornady 100 grain AMAX will be a little cheaper. I really like the way the 100 grain bullets have shot in my 16" barrel.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                              Range report.

I was able to shoot some test groups this weekend. They did OK but not great for me. First off, I had to seat them to 2.150 just to get them off the lands. I don't think this was necessarily a major problem but my 100 NBT's loads are seated at 2.260. The reduced case capacity caused pressure signs to show at a lower charge relative to the Noslers.

Of the 6 sets I shot, the best group was about .9 MOA and the worst was 1.6. None of the sets really seemed to "settle in" like I like to see.

Powder- 8208
                              Brass- fireformed IMI 7.62
                              Primer- Rem 9 1/2

28.5 grains= 2756 fps
                              29 grains= 2774 fps but started to show pressure- this is my load for Noslers & I get 2819 fps.

I could push them a little more with true Grendel brass but my intention was to make field loads using cheaper brass.

I have not decided if I will continue to use them after I shoot the 100 I bought. If I can get them to stay consistently sub MOA I will. Otherwise I will just stick with the Noslers even they are quite a bit more expensive ($36/100 vs $28/100).
                              What barrel were you using? The 120 AMax was one of the few bullets that would hit the lands on mine. It's interesting that it is shorter than the Nosler 100 but hits the lands.

R

Comment

Working...
                              X