• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Side charging

I happened to see the GSR upper on the AA site:

While the GSR is probably a bit too heavy for me, I wonder if such a side-charging handle might provide enough leverage that I'd be able to work it. Anybody know how it compares to a Mini-30 in regard to the force needed to pull the bolt all the way to the rear? Harder? Easier? About the same?

And is the ejection pattern of side-chargers safe for left-handed shooting?
  • StoneTower

Here is a better picture:

When you say: "I wonder if such a side-charging handle might provide enough leverage that I'd be able to work it"...are you unable to pull a regular charging handle? The upper takes the same force to compress the buffer tube spring as with a standard upper.

Take care,

David

The uppers weigh about 5 ounces more than a standard upper.

Comment

I have side charging on my WOA match AR. It sure is convenient. I find it easier to charge the rifle with it, than pulling back on the charging handle. My eye relief has my scope farther back and it makes it more difficult to reach the charging handle. Problem solved.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
        Thanks for that.
        When you say: "I wonder if such a side-charging handle might provide enough leverage that I'd be able to work it"...are you unable to pull a regular charging handle?
        That's correct.
        The upper takes the same force to compress the buffer tube spring as with a standard upper.
        Yeah, I know the spring pressure would be the same, but thought that there might be a difference in leverage.

The T-handle has to be grasped overhand, with thumb and forefinger, or first two fingers.

The side handle looks like it can be gripped underhand, with the palm of the right hand. Plus, it's several inches farther forward, which I thought might help.
        Last edited by stanc; 08-07-2011, 03:15 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
          I have side charging on my WOA match AR. It sure is convenient. I find it easier to charge the rifle with it, than pulling back on the charging handle. My eye relief has my scope farther back and it makes it more difficult to reach the charging handle.
          I can see how it would be easier, with a scope so mounted.

But, without the scope attached, do you find it any easier?

Comment

I would not want one unless it was non reciprocating and left side

I may make one of my own using a charging handle from a FAL and the billet upper I have

Comment

I am left handed so the charging handle on the bolt works great as I do not have to take my finger off the trigger to charge the bolt. Also if you have an adjustable cheek rest on the butt stock you cannot use the regular charging handle as the cheek rest is in the way.

Comment

Yeah,I am right handed so my reasons are the same as yours.

I have a padded foam piece on the only collapsing stock I use, but I shoot it with the stock extended so it is not an issue.

On any other type of stock if you need a cheek riser your scope just might be mounted too high.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
                  I would not want one unless it was non reciprocating and left side
                  To each his own. Personally, I like a reciprocating bolt handle. All of the military weapons I got to shoot in my formative years had 'em: M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, M1941 Johnson, M14 rifle...and even the M1919A6 machine gun.

The thing that concerns me now that I must shoot left-handed, is if the ejection pattern is going to be into my face.
                  Last edited by stanc; 08-07-2011, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I have both handles on my billet receiver because when I use my brass catcher the side handle would hit the catcher frame. I just set the bolt open then unscrew it. If I need to pull the bolt back I use the handle. Either way feels about same resistance.
                    Bruce

Comment

• babue
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

I like this upper at www.hpirifles.com
                      I have mine setup with the handle on the left and does NOT reciprocate.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by babue View Post
                        I like this upper at www.hpirifles.com
                        That's different.

Any idea what fore end that is?

This one looks as if it might offer better leverage, but the upper appears to be a gas piston design.

Comment

I'm a lefty, and my 6.5G has a right side bolt handle (no charging handle). In answer to the question about the ejection pattern; I have no problems with my setup.

In some situations, I turn the adjustable gas block screw in and cycle the action by hand; from a bench rest; real handy for a lefty.

Comment

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                            I can see how it would be easier, with a scope so mounted.

But, without the scope attached, do you find it any easier?
                            I originally bought my upper to shoot XTC and Mid-Range Prone. The recommendation for getting the side charging handle was from an experienced prone shooter. With the open sights on it I needed a cheekpiece to allow me to see my sights without strain. To accomplish this I installed a Magpul PRS stock. With the cheekpiece up it would have intereferred with the rear charging handle. But I never had to worry about it. Where I found the side charge to be of biggest benefit was once I was in position, I could load, charge the rifle and fire only using my right hand. My left could stay in place in the sling. I just reached up and underhanded pulled the charging handle. When I switched out the open sights to optics, I also changed the PRS back to an A2 stock. This allows me to adjust the rifle by sliding my left hand forward or back on the stock in FPR. And I use the charging handle as explained earlier.
                            It has been a great convenience for me, but can I say it is easier? It takes about the same amount of energy to charge the rifle either way, but it does keep me behind the rifle rather than having get off the scope and lean out to charge it, if I have to. So I can't really say one way or the other about easier.

Comment

Originally posted by pappy42 View Post
                              I'm a lefty, and my 6.5G has a right side bolt handle (no charging handle). In answer to the question about the ejection pattern; I have no problems with my setup.

In some situations, I turn the adjustable gas block screw in and cycle the action by hand; from a bench rest; real handy for a lefty.
                              Yep, prone is always easier/faster with an opposite hand action.

Comment

Working...
                              X