Are Liberty barrels hand lapped? And another question....or two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gophernuts

Are Liberty barrels hand lapped? And another question....or two.

So I ordered a couple of David Tubb's Final Finish systems. One for my .300 win mag, and one for my Grendel. I was talking to the guy and he said to run a different procedure if the barrel is hand lapped. So that's my first question. Are the liberty barrels hand lapped? My second question truly does not belong on this form but I know that at least a few people know what they are talking about here so I will throw out the hail mary pass. Does anybody have a recipe for the .300 win mag involving a 180gr Sierra gameking with 4831sc Powder? And for my final question, has anybody every used these DTFF systems?

I used it on a rem760 bbl that only had 50 rounds through it but it was not exactly an exemplary bbl, it was made in 1956.

It worked well and when done I finished up using bore paste.

I could have hand lapped it but I did not feel like putting in the effort.

Comment

Yes I have used it. I used it on a new Ruger Mini-30 Tactical that was one rough POS. I used the .308 kit instead of the .311 kit as that is what SS Systems recommended. It worked and it worked well, but I do think a kit in .310 would work a touch better. I also just finished using it on my Colt HBAR 5.56. This rifle shot pretty good, but after a few hundred rounds it started to lose accuracy and a dose of Wipe-Out showed a lot of copper fouling. Long story short, copper fouling is way down and accuracy is better and better for longer.

The different procedure between a regular barrel and a hand lapped barrel is simply to not use abrasive bullets #1 & #2 in the kit. You start with #3.

Comment

• gophernuts

So are liberty barrels hand lapped?

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

I do not believe so.

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Gopher I used the DTFF system in my Wilson barreled .223 AR-15. I used only 5 of the first 2 bullets and cleaned every 10. Although it has not been paticularly stellar with 55 gr bullets the fist time I used 69 SMK's I resulted in a 5 shot .323" group.

Comment

Working...
            X