Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RangerRick

Range report SMK 120 gr, SMK 123gr, Norma 120gr FMJ

I've been trying to figure out which bullet is most accurate out of my Grendel for some long range shooting. So today I went to the range and did a comparison of the Sierra Match King 120grain, and 123 grain.

I've had very good results with the Hornady 123 AMax out of this gun, but I wanted to check other bullets too. I was recently getting consistent hits at 800 meters on pop up silhouette targets with the AMax. I thought I'd try some others to see it I could get a better score on round targets.

I also shot Lapua 123grain Scenars but got terrible results. I've had better results before with them, so I guess this load is just not a good node for them in this rifle.

I was also surprised by the accuracy of the Norma 120 grain Full Metal Jacket bullets in a previous range session, so I thought I'd try them too. Their BC is probably too low for good results at long range, but they were very accurate.

A match was in progress at my range, so I could only shoot at 100 yards.

All the bullets were loaded with 30.4 grains of AA2520 and seated magazine depth (2.260). The barrel is a 20 inch Satern 1 in 8.5 twist, fluted, with a WCI brake. I get about 2530 feet per second out of this load with a 123 grain Hornady AMax as chronoed.

I used CCI 450 primers and Lapua brass.

Group size for 5 shot groups:
    Norma 120 grain FMJ 0.63 inches
    123 grain SMK 0.75 inches
    Sierra 120 grain SMK 1.3 inches

I've also had better results with the 120 SMK's too and bad results with the 123's. The 123 SMK seems to do well at higher velocities and seated as long as possible in my gun.

Photos are below. The orange squares on the target are 1 inch.

DSC02754-small.jpgDSC02755-small.jpgDSC02753-small.jpg
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
    I was also surprised by the accuracy of the Norma 120 grain Full Metal Jacket bullets in a previous range session, so I thought I'd try them too. Their BC is probably too low for good results at long range, but they were very accurate.

Group size for 5 shot groups:
    Norma 120 grain FMJ 0.63 inches
    That is indeed very good! What's muzzle velocity?

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      That is indeed very good! What's muzzle velocity?
      I haven't chronoed the Norma 120 FMJ's yet but I get 2530 with other 120 grain bullets with this load. I'll try to get some chrono data next time out.

Rick

Comment

Working...
      X