• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Factory ammo MV

Anybody chrono'd AA, Wolf, Hornady, or Black Hills ammo? Would like to know velocities in 14.5" and 20" barrels.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

AA data is here:

All are 5 rounds from my old 20" (actually 19.5"):

Wolf MPT 2375-2425 FPS
    Hornady Amax 2475-2510 FPS
    Black Hills 123 Sierra 2555-2570 FPS (only 3 rounds chrono'd) I strongly believe that the old Black Hills load was hot.

No 14.5 inch, sorry!
    Last edited by bwaites; 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

AA 19.5 shilen:
      Hornady 123 A-MAX

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        Thanks, Bill. I did know of that PDF, but wanted independent confirmation of those figures.

Also was hoping to learn muzzle velocity of the AA 120gr TSX load, which isn't in the PDF.
        All are 5 rounds from my old 20" (actually 19.5"):

Wolf MPT 2375-2425 FPS
        Hornady Amax 2475-2510 FPS
        Black Hills 123 Sierra 2555-2570 FPS (only 3 rounds chrono'd) I strongly believe that the old Black Hills load was hot.

No 14.5 inch, sorry!
        That's okay. My main interest is the 20" velocities. BTW, d'ya happen to know why Alexander went with that rather oddball 19.5" length? I don't see any logic in using it instead of 20".

So you clocked the Wolf 120gr MPT @ ~2400 fps, eh? It looks like Wolf is a bit "optimistic" in listing it as 2615 fps. It also doesn't look very promising for performance of the 110gr FMJ (assuming it ever materializes ), which is listed as a puny 5 fps faster, despite weighing 10 grains less!

FWIW, the gunblast.com article on the lightweight Grendel shows only 2325 fps for Wolf "MRT" from the 14.5" barrel. Might as well be shooting 7.62x39!

Comment

• burnsome
          Warrior
          • Jun 2011

only data i have on my first 6.5 build. 12.5 inch Model 1 barrel.

Wolf MPTs - 2300 fps
          Hornady 123 AMAX - 2350 fps

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
            That's okay. My main interest is the 20" velocities. BTW, d'ya happen to know why Alexander went with that rather oddball 19.5" length? I don't see any logic in using it instead of 20".

So you clocked the Wolf 120gr MPT @ ~2400 fps, eh? It looks like Wolf is a bit "optimistic" in listing it as 2615 fps. It also doesn't look very promising for performance of the 110gr FMJ (assuming it ever materializes ), which is listed as a puny 5 fps faster, despite weighing 10 grains less!

FWIW, the gunblast.com article on the lightweight Grendel shows only 2325 fps for Wolf "MRT" from the 14.5" barrel. Might as well be shooting 7.62x39!
            Well, the Wolf velocities are from a 24" I'm sure, but its actually a pretty mild load. Mine was shot just before I had it rebarreled, so there is the possibility that the pressure might be down some because of a worn throat, decreasing velocity some.

My gut feeling on the 19.5 inch is that it simply is something to differentiate the rifle. (You know, marketing!) BUT...I have two other rifles listed as 20" barrels by their manufacturers, and one is actually 21" measured from the bolt face, and the other is 20.3 inches. I'm not quite sure how they measured them to call them 20"! I suspect that the measurement issue is why there are so few TRUE 16" barrels out there. NO ONE wants to run befoul of BATFE, so they all make them a little longer.

I can't figure out how he got 2325 FPS from the Wolf in a 14.5 inch barrel! I doubt you can get that kind of velocity out of a 7.62x39 from a 14.5 inch barrel, either!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
              Also was hoping to learn muzzle velocity of the AA 120gr TSX load, which isn't in the PDF.
              I developed a hand load before AA loaded this load, so I've never shot it.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Well, the Wolf velocities are from a 24" I'm sure, but its actually a pretty mild load. Mine was shot just before I had it rebarreled, so there is the possibility that the pressure might be down some because of a worn throat, decreasing velocity some.

I can't figure out how he got 2325 FPS from the Wolf in a 14.5 inch barrel! I doubt you can get that kind of velocity out of a 7.62x39 from a 14.5 inch barrel, either!
                Well, if the old site hadn't got smoked!

I had posted chrony data for the Wolf 120gr. MPT load in 10.5", 14.5", and 19.5" barrels over multiple strings and different temperatures. Anyone know how to use that internet cache "wayback" thingy to catch it off the old board?

I'd just repost it, but, ahem.... I kinda use postit notes and scratch paper a bunch, and it is likely in a pile of stuff in the gun room..... somewhere....
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                X