• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

This weekend's long range report

Good times this weekend. Conditions were nearly perfect for some 1K shooting Saturday- overcast, the first day in 27 consecutive it didn't break 100 degrees & little to no wind.

Rifle is one of my builds- RRA lower, Satern 20" (19.5 actually, I had it cut & threaded to 5/8 x 24), Mega side charging billet upper, Gunwerks break, CTR stock, JP rail, Geissele High Speed trigger, Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 - 50, Larue 10 MOA canted mount.

Pic of the rifle

6.5 Grendel.jpg

I've developed 2 good loads so far, one for long range target shooting & one for varmint hunting.

Long range load- 123SMKs, 28.6g 2808, Alexander brass, 2.260 COL, CCI 450. 2550 FPS

Pic of test firing.

6.5 gren 123 smk.jpg

Pic of 1K this weekend. The hits with the blue circles are mine. .695 MOA

6.5 gren 1000 yds.jpg

Varmint load- 100 NBT, 29g 2808, IMI 7.62x39 fire formed brass, 2.260 COL, Remington 9 1/2. 2710 FPS.

Test firing.

6.5 gren 100 NBT.jpg

No pics of this weekend but I got a 3 round group of 3.5" @ 500 yds. I also slung a few out to 750. They did OK but these little bullets really run out of gas and get bullied by the wind. I could probably get a bit more velocity out of them if I were using Grendel brass but these are primarily field loads. I would rather use cheaper brass and not worry so much about finding my high dollar casings in the grass.
    Last edited by txgunner00; 08-16-2011, 11:48 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Almost forgot- one of my major goals for this weekend was to figure out the data adjustments & correction factors I needed to get my ballistic calculator working accurately. I'm using the "Shooter" App for android. With some careful data collection and help from a friend I got it dialed in. I was able to accurately calculate my adjustments for both loads at various distances out to 1K with great results.

Now I just need a place I can shoot unknown distance targets at extended ranges...
    Last edited by txgunner00; 08-15-2011, 03:55 PM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

Nice shooting.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Thanks

Comment

Excellent post with great pics. You indicate that there are five shots measuring over 6" on the 19" steel plate. What are the other marks on the plate. Great shooting. Maybe I'll get frisky and try my 16" further than 600yds.

Comment

• skyfish
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

That's impressive shooting! Nice rifle too.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Excellent post with great pics. You indicate that there are five shots measuring over 6" on the 19" steel plate. What are the other marks on the plate. Great shooting. Maybe I'll get frisky and try my 16" further than 600yds.
              Hits from other people. I was at a public range.

Originally posted by skyfish View Post
              That's impressive shooting! Nice rifle too.
              Thanks.

Comment

I'm impressed! How is 14x at 1000? It that enough scope? You obviously got on target, but were you comfortable with that magnification, or could you have used more glass? I've never shot at that range, so I'm curious.

Tiger Valley by chance?

Comment

For me, 14x is plenty at 1000yds. 10x is plenty at 1000yds, especially if you have glass with great resolution and a clear, crisp reticle with fine intersecting crosshairs. I also have 20/15 vision, so I have an edge in that regard. As long as you can clearly index your sight picture at the center of your target, settle the gun well, and maintain that sight picture throughout the shot(thanks Gene), you're good-aside from your doping of course.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

14x is plenty with this quality of glass. I have no problem bisecting the target and getting consistent POAs (as long as my head is in the game). This is why I like the Zeiss conquest line of scopes so much. Superb glass (equal to or better than Nightforce, Leupold, IOR, even USO & S&B in my opinion) at a reasonable price. They aren't necessarily as rugged as some of the aforementioned brands but I don't intend to abuse this rig too much.

Best of the West in Liberty Hill
                    Last edited by txgunner00; 08-16-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info on glass. Now that I'm well into presbyopia, I have a much greater appreciation for optics that offer the ability to resolve my target.

I did not know BotW had distances out to 1000. That's good to know, particularly because BotW is much closer to me than TV.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

It's a great range. You should come check it out. I cast all the bench tops out of concrete for them. They are good and sturdy.

Comment

• terrywick4

What was the reasoning of using CCI450 on 123 and remington 7 1/2 on varmant loads? They both cross reference the same?

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Those are Rem 9 1/2- large rifle. 7.62 x 39 uses LR.

Comment

Hey txgunner00,
                              How does your brass look with that hot of a load. At 65f and 28.4g of 8208 XBR I was beating the crap out of AA/Lapua brass and getting deep extractor marks in the brass. I have now backed down to 28.1g 8208 XBR.

Nice shooting! I have only gone out to 800 with mine.

Until that day,
                              Darkop

Comment

Working...
                              X