• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

No luck with the 129gr Interbonds

Tried the 129gr interbonds today with 8208...could get a group less than about 3"
    Guess next is to try the 120 Barnes. Though I must say the interbonds did open up and perform as advertised.
    This is fired into a heavy plastic jugs (about 5 gallons each) it penetrated into the second one, so around 15-18" of penetration of water and 3 heavy gauge plastic walls.

Darn shame I couldn't get better accuracy with them...anyone want a partial box of them, I'll trade for some 120gr barnes, or sell them at a good price.
    Last edited by toolsofthetrade; 08-22-2011, 12:29 AM. Reason: poor finger control
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Have you tried 2520 or 2230? I have had good luck out of 19.5 barrel with 129SST.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Dang. I'm making a Graf's order and was on here trying to decide on the bullets I wanted to but. these were a top contender. I'd like to try some in my rifle.

Comment

Strange, I am getting 3/4" groups at 100yrd with my 18" Grendel and 8208. I got a bunch of them when MidSouth had them for sale as blems.

Greg

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
          Warrior
          • May 2011

what twist rate you using? what charge?
          I have not tried them with any other powder yet.

Comment

I've had nice results with both 110 and 120gr Barnes TSX using X-terminator for the 110 and TAC for the 120gr

Comment

Originally posted by toolsofthetrade View Post
              what twist rate you using? what charge?
              I have not tried them with any other powder yet.
              I have an 18" barrel on my Grendel, I think it was a 1 in 9 twist, it is the barrel that we had on the old forum for sale as a fund raiser. Anyway my load was Hornady brass, Fed 205 primer, 24.5gr IMR 8208 XBR, 2.245 COL, I was getting right at 2100fps if I remember right on the chrono with that load and sub MOA groups.

Greg

Comment

These are my main load for Hogs. Under a 1/2 MOA with either BL-C(2) or Tac.

Comment

Maybe you can save some money by trying Hornadys 129 gr spire point ( 1/3 the cost of the intebond) and blc (2). I shoot them in 4 different Grendels and they all shoot < 1 inch. They expand well out past 350 yards. My barrel lengths are 14- 24 inches.

Comment

I shot some of the 129's over N540. Decent accuracy, not shockingly good, but acceptable for hunting. Right around 2 inches at 200 yards for 5 shot groups.

Comment

You mind sharing your load for the 129s and 540? I've been playing with the 129s, but have been disappointed with the accuracy with blc2 and have gotten inconsistent results with 8208. I have some 540 and would like to try it.

Thanks

Comment

If you're talking about N540, I would advise against it. The 500 series powders are known for burning throats and clogging gas systems, from what I've heard from more than one reputable source. I was using it in my initial .260 Rem loads, but got too extreme spreads, and insane pressure spikes. It is a double-based, high energy powder that is no joke. My Finnish buddies use the 100 series like N165, instead of N540 or other 500 series. It will give you crazy velocity, but you'll pay for it.

Comment

I'm open to other ideas. I was just interested in trying a slower powder and have some 540. Anyone have data for N150? N165 is way down the list. Is anyone using powder that slow in the Grendel?

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

If some of the powders are off- kilter, try Tac in it. I used 26.0-27.0 Tac and all was good /w/ 129 sst's.- BTW-- that H-2-O, recovered Interbond from Tool's first post on this- , is here at my reload station. We're trying to find the right way to lighten them, it may end up as the- next best thing -behind the GMX's. That 129 bullet weighed 123 when it got here,, only 6 grns. lost, thru the jugs- thats Very Impressive for a Bonded unit- the Accubonds lost 30 grns.- thru the h2o jugs. I shot a 112 grn. interB. at 29.0 of 8208, and all was well= my start point.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAggie94 View Post
                              I'm open to other ideas. I was just interested in trying a slower powder and have some 540. Anyone have data for N150? N165 is way down the list. Is anyone using powder that slow in the Grendel?
                              Consider AR-Comp. It throws 123 Amax' at 2615fps and 140 Amax' around 2350fps from my 24" barrel. Both bullets very nice groups at 100 yds. It's very temperature stable.

Hoot

Comment

Working...
                              X