I'm Not Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Not Back?

Ok, so I'm brand new, and not a returning warrior... Still, I just picked up my 6.5 Grendel AR and I am excited about shooting it. Been following the cartridge with some curiosity since development (PPC/BR, etc.). Almost went the AR10/30 cal route, until I convinced myself that I would be OK loading my own and would prefer a standard-sized AR platform rifle.

I'm hoping I'm right...

My rifle is nothing special compared to what you guys have here: VLTOR upper, Timney, Sparten (Spartan?) barrel, etc. Looking at optics next (yeah, I've been reading the threads...), and then its off to see what she/I can do.

Picked her up with about 100 once-fired (don't they always say that? ), and 100 rounds of Wolf 120gr sp's (range fodder, probably?). I have four CMags, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of decent polymer mags.

I will probably be perusing every single loading thread, and then tune my set-up.

I invested a considerable amount, so I hope I am not let down... I read tons of good things, and a few bad things (mag reliability, etc.)

I'm in Seattle, WA, btw.

Welcome aboard. The Grendel is a great little cartridge, I think you'll be very happy with it. I too was looking at the AR10 platform but didn't want to be carrying around a 12lb rifle come hunting time. The Grendel fits the bill for me, 7.5lbs scoped, I love it. Just started reloading for the Grendel, haven't found the magic load yet but that's half the fun and with the 6.5 you have a lot of options.

No two ARs are the same and it's always interesting to see someone else's set-up. If you can post some pics.

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

One tip: The early Wolf 123 SP ammo had really soft jackets and fouled barrels quickly. You said you had 120gr. ammo, which would be the "Wolf Gold 120gr. MPT" cartridge if it is indeed 120gr. But you also listed it as "SP"... If you meant 123 gr. Soft point Wolf ammo-- then it'll likely muddy up your Spartan barrel and make you think it isn't a shooter when it probably is... Better check it.

If it's the 120 MPT load: shoot and enjoy with no worry.

If it's the 123gr. Soft point load, then plan on cleaning out copper fouling FWIW.

Things could have changed with the jacket alloy used in the 123 SP loading, but forewarned is forearmed.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• m796rider
        Warrior
        • Jul 2011

Welcome.

I did the .308 AR thing for awhile, and eventually decided that if I'm going to be dealing with non-standard parts (boy, the .308 AR world is the definition of non-standard), I'd rather do that on an AR-15 sized rifle. I've found 6.5 Grendel ammo easy to find and relatively inexpensive, and you can't argue with the round's merits.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Rhino,

Welcome! Just wanted to point out that Alexander Arms will be visiting the Pacific Northwest on Sept30/Oct1 in Richland, WA.

There will be plenty of rifles to shoot there to give you some idea of what you might want to try!

Comment

• skyfish
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Glad to have you here. I think most of use did/thought the same way. I almost went the AR-10/DPMS 308 route. Actually 6.5 Creedmore. But liked the small frame better, at least all the furniture will fit other rifles.

I don't know the NorthWest that well, but flying in/out. I believe there is a large shooting range just east/southeast of Seattle.

Comment

Thanks guys. One things for sure--I've always been curious about it and have been wanting to roll my own for a long time, so I will get to know this rifle very well. I'll put up a couple pics later today.

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome. I've owned several .308 AR10's, and I can't see a reason for buying a .308 AR again. What I do use that platform for is the faster 6.5's, such as a .260 Rem currently, which is a great cartridge for long-range. The Grendel gives you basically .308 ballistics out of a much lighter, softer-recoiling package with more mag capacity, and uses much less powder.

+1 on the Wolf ammo types and barrel fouling. After shooting some of the earlier 123gr Soft Points throuhg my 16" Grendel, it went from a 1 MOA gun to a shotgun. I pulled the rest of those pills for the brass, but don't really use the Wolf brass anyway.

I've had excellent results with the Slip2000 cleaning and lubrication products. I recently cleaned out the Moly residue in my 22" .260 in just a few minutes, using the degreaser, bore cleaner, and a few dry patches. Most people complain about how many hours it takes to clean out Molybdenum Disulfide residue from a bore. The Slip2000 stuff is also non-toxic, and you can get it on your hands without issue. Just make sure you have a good bore guide for the Grendel of course.

I have yet to experience any mag issues with the CProducts mags. I could even run those Wolf 123gr SP's reliably, which is not common in an AR.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Good to have ya, R1!

John
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! My rifle came with a nice Eotech set-up--that, and the forend grip are now living on my PWS AR.

Here are a couple pics:

Comment

Sweet rig. The previous owner had it set-up for CQB and practical shooting, basically. Either the 2.5-10x44 or 4-16x50 Viper PST would complement that stick very well. Get a Grendel bore guide and some good cleaning products and clean the Wolf fouling out. There's plenty of info on great loads for whatever bullet you want to shoot. LR1955 usually recommends trying the 120gr SMK's first with 2520 I think. She should be a shooter with many different loads and projectiles though.

Let us know what bolt carrier type you have (M16 or AR15), and what buffer you have (best to just weight it). Looks like a great platform for doing what you want, i.e. target shoot. That lower, VLTOR upper, and JP/VTAC handguard look great together, contrasted with the stainless pipe. Looks like you have a Timney trigger as well...

Comment

YHM diamond black M16 BCG, and a Timney. I'll weigh the buffer as soon as my scale comes in.

Thanks for the loading tips--I can't wait to get started!
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2011, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X