reloading wolf brass... primer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reloading wolf brass... primer question

I plan to reload using once-shot wolf grendel brass. I will use Hornady 123g A-Max bullets.

Can anyone tell me what primer i should use when reloding Wolf brass?

if it matters, I plan to use Hogden's BL(c)2 powder.

Thanks, Gene

PS: Forgive me if this has been addressed here already. I just got here today...
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I use CCI large rifle primers, NOT large rifle magnums.

Comment

I would also take it easy on the Wolf brass with large rifle primers since it doesn't take the pressue that the Lapua/small rifle primer brass will. You're pushing the 123gr's, so that is about the top-end of bullet weights for the Grendel. I would suggest maybe investing in the Lapua brass for better performance potential and brass longevity as well. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Bwaites, do you mean CCI BR2 primers? I just need to be sure... Thanks.

LRRPF52, do you think the wolf brass isnt worth reloading at least once... or twice? Thanks.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

The first few batches of Wolf brass were really soft and many stretched so much they wouldn't hold a primer securely after the single factory round was shot.

The Wolf Gold MPT brass seems better, I don't reload it much anymore because I have plenty of AA/Lapua, but I have run some up to five times. The necks are thinner, so some dies won't give you a good neck tension unless you use bushing dies.

Its worth a shot using it, especially if you hunt and don't care about losing a piece or two of it.

gene, I used standard large rifle primers, CCI 200's.

Comment

I guess it's worth loading as many times as it lasts for you, but you pretty much know that you're going to end up with Lapua/AA brass. Lapua makes the brass for AA-they're one and the same, with different case head markings. For the number of loadings you get from Lapua brass, it's really hard to beat.

Comment

thanks guys! i guess i need to bite the bullet and buy some "real" brass...

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gene View Post
                thanks guys! i guess i need to bite the bullet and buy some "real" brass...
                IMHO: It just depends on what your goals are. If you are an anal retentive bench kinda guy? Sure, definitely Lapua/AA brass. If you're just a casual shooter/hunter who won't commit ritual suicide if your group goes over 1", or your load is 75fps under max listed??? Wolf will honestly probably suit you just fine....
                If you fall in between like most of us? BOTH! . Lapua for "good" loads, Wolf for hunting.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Wolf is good brass to reload. It won't last as long as Lapua, but it works just fine.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I still have and use wolf brass, I bought too many at the start of my lifelong Grendel experiment.... Get some Hornady brass, I heard it's made by Priv -ppu anyway. It's good eats for the Grr. Older Wolfy sucks after a few shots- recycle it-, as brass is higher $ now.

Comment

Again thanks to all. I plan to play with the wolf brass i have, but also purchase some Lapua for longterm reloading.

Comment

I've used it for the lighter 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with no issues, but who knows how many loads I'll get from it. It's mainly an inconvenience to me because I have to set up for large rifle primers, then switch back to small rifle primers when priming my Grendel brass. Since most Grendel brass is small rifle, I just would rather avoid the Wolf/PPU brass.

Comment

Working...
                        X