What twist rates and bullet grain weights are you running for most accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What twist rates and bullet grain weights are you running for most accuracy?

Hey guys. Just wondering what your experiences are with the most accurate round (especially the grain weight of the bullet) for your twist rate. I am trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for as far as my barrel is concerned. I have a 20" sabre defence 1x9 twist. I verified my twist rate (which actually was 9.25) which was close enough. I am getting some decent groups with the 123 lapua scenars. I have 130gr bergers that I am going to be trying next. I definitely want to dial my groups in more though. right now, i'm experimenting around with COAL and bullet weight for most accuracy, then I will dial in the powder.

this is what i've done so far. I used a hornady OAL gauge with a comparator to measure the COAL for my barrel. I found that the COAL for my chamber/barrel should be 1.691" with my comparator (OAL to where the ogive hits the lands and grooves). ironically enough, when i measured the OAL without the comparator, it measured within a few thousandths of 2.265" which was what lapua recommended for that round! in other words, i had been shooting them and they were touching the lands and grooves.

so what I did was load rounds (w/ 123gr scenars) with different COAL's. I loaded 4 groups of 5 rounds each, backing each group off of the other 5 thousandths (i.e. 1.684, 1.679, 1.674, 1.669). i shot each of these groups at 300 yards without a gunrest, only using a bipod and sand bag (so there is definitely user error ).

not sure what happened with the 5th shot, but this seemed to be my most accurate round out of all 4 groups.

Working...
X