My Grendel Bolt Action Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grendel Bolt Action Build

Being a huge fan of the Grendel in the AR platform I really wanted one in a bolt action. After much research and being a stubborn DIY'er I decided to build one myself on a savage action. I used a Savage model 10 .308 wally world gun as the donor to get the action and a PPC bolt head from Pacific Tool and Gauge. The barrel is a Rock Creek 6.5 Grendel, 26 in Bull Barrel, 1 in 8 twist. I used a Richards Microfit Tac Driver stock which I finished and glass and pillar bedded. The scope is a leupold 6-18.

After shooting 50 rounds to break the barrel in I was able to stretch it out a bit. At 200 yards my group was .61 of a inch and at 300 yds it was 2.2 inches (I really need to practice at this distance and longer). I was using Lapua Brass, CCI 450's, Nosler CC 123's on top of 28 Grns of IMR 8208.

I have to say I am very happy thus far and I am looking forward to getting more range time in at longer distances. I am sure the weak link in this system is the shooter. The gun is a joy to shoot, no kick and the accutrigger is nice, so long as you don't try to pull it from the edge of the trigger as it will only go click. I got to believe that this caliber, with a sporter barrel, would make a fantastic deer rifle.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ralphob View Post
    Being a huge fan of the Grendel in the AR platform I really wanted one in a bolt action. After much research and being a stubborn DIY'er I decided to build one myself on a savage action. I used a Savage model 10 .308 wally world gun as the donor to get the action and a PPC bolt head from Pacific Tool and Gauge. The barrel is a Rock Creek 6.5 Grendel, 26 in Bull Barrel, 1 in 8 twist. I used a Richards Microfit Tac Driver stock which I finished and glass and pillar bedded. The scope is a leupold 6-18.

After shooting 50 rounds to break the barrel in I was able to stretch it out a bit. At 200 yards my group was .61 of a inch and at 300 yds it was 2.2 inches (I really need to practice at this distance and longer). I was using Lapua Brass, CCI 450's, Nosler CC 123's on top of 28 Grns of IMR 8208.

I have to say I am very happy thus far and I am looking forward to getting more range time in at longer distances. I am sure the weak link in this system is the shooter. The gun is a joy to shoot, no kick and the accutrigger is nice, so long as you don't try to pull it from the edge of the trigger as it will only go click. I got to believe that this caliber, with a sporter barrel, would make a fantastic deer rifle.
    Awesome! But without pics it didn't happen!

Comment

+1on bwaites. Congrats on the build, but we need pics! BTW, how does the Grendel feed from the .308 box, or did you shorten/modify it?

Comment

It wouldn't feed from the .308 box, the rounds would just fly out. I had to get a 7.62x39 box and follower from savage.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Zach987
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2011

Thats a dead sexy rifle right there!

Comment

Man that's nice, job well done. You can be proud of that one and it shoot great to boot. Thanks for the pics and build report.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2013, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Welcome. That is nice right there. What COL can you load the 123gr NCC to? .61" at 200yds? Yeah, horrible shooter...

Comment

Just got to hate a gun that won't hold a good group......lol

I want a bolt gun!!!!

Comment

LRRPF52- according to my measurements I can go out to 2.338 with the Nosler CC's. My first loads were at 2.300 and I plan to experiment with moving them out and seeing how they shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphob View Post

Ralphob,

It has been a while since this post, but just wondering what bullet and powder did you settle on.

Also did you chronograph any of your loads, I'd be interested in the velocity you got with good accuracy.

Thank you,

wll

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Ralphob,
                          So you also have a Grendel on the AR platform. How does the recoil compare between the two? Just curious and yes, that is a VERY Nice rifle.

And you got that wood from Wally World? Awesome..

I read it again, where did you get that wood??
                          Last edited by Tedward; 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X