• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Stealth Grey Precision Rifle Build

Took advantage of the onset of offseason and a spring storm in the mountains yesterday to clean up my workshop. Pulled out my parts and lined them up to see if there was anything I was forgetting as I wait 3-6 weeks for the JP barrel kit ordered last week.

Its an Aero Precision Stealth Grey Monthly Builders Kit from last fall with Gen II enhanced upper receiver with Stealth Grey Magpul PRS and grip. Barrel kit will be 22" JP in BlackTeflon with black thermal dissipater, plus black Teflon JP competition compensator, JP enhanced bolt, JP low mass bolt carrier and JP Gen II silent capture spring.

Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS 4.5-30x50 with H59 reticle is arriving this afternoon from when Midway decided to blow a few out the door for $1249 last week.

The only things missing are a Giessele SSA-E (which got hijacked by a 22 Nosler build), charging handle (glad I checked my parts - the 22 Nosler hijacked that too!), scope rings and a bipod (where I might as well go all in with an Atlas).
    Attached Files
    Let's go Brandon!
  • 82HALO
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Yeah....love that atlas! I put the Talon spikes on mine!
    Good looking so far!! I want one of those JP 22"er's too!

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

A Geissele sale at Primary Arms is as easy to predict as a Chuck Schumer fit of outrage. They call it an EGGSTREME sale, but its pretty much the same sale they have at least 12 times a year. SSA-E ordered up along with a POF "Rattler" charging handle. Only thing left is to find a reason to buy anything other than Aero Precision Ultralight scope mounts while the JP Enterprises factory cogs turn.....
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• drewthebrave
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

I have 2 of the Aero scope mounts and love them. They have held strong with my VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 (extended mount) and my SWFA 1-4x24 (standard mount) through some typical bumps and knocks over the past couple years. I have all the confidence in the world that they're tough enough for my uses.

You'll probably want the SPR mount for proper eye relief with that scope.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Thanks Drew - I probably would have ordered the extendeds which I have on my FDE carbine with an ERS and after checking, I definitely need the SPRs. I have a few Aero rings and I've been looking for anyone who has something bad to say about them (other than the PIA leveling) and I just can't find anyone. It just seems wrong paying so little for something so light given what some rings can cost, but they do what they're supposed to do. I don't know if I'd be mounting them up on an Ulfbehrt, but for Grendel they do just fine. Aero has the 34mm SPRs are on sale for $70 shipped, so I bit the bullet and used the $$ I could have spent on more expensive rings towards an Atlas 170S with lever for $245 shipped from Sportsmans Guide with their Double Member Discount
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

It's the offseason. It's snowing. Put my lower together today. LMOS carrier and silent capture spring arrived from JP but still waiting on the barrel. Figured I'd loosely screw on the handguard and scope to see how she's going to look
            Attached Files
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Looks like most of this thread was lost in the outage. It's clear that this barrel and its new pet load (as of this afternoon) are far better than me.

5 shots at about 0.3" done rapid fire (thanks LR1955 for advising me to pick up my pace!)

image.jpeg

The first 3 are about 0.1". Then I paused in disbelief and got back to my old tricks

image.jpeg

2 MOA steel from 360-750 were sitting ducks. 3 of 5 on 18" at 900 tossing it up onto hillside with a variable 8-12 mph crosswind lacking indicators

image.jpeg

Where did the meme that CFE223 is temperature sensitive start?
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Great looking rig!
                And looks like it shooting very consistent across many different loads and powders.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                  Great looking rig!
                  And looks like it shooting very consistent across many different loads and powders.
                  Despite the absurd SDs with AR Comp, all 4 sets I did yesterday came in at 3/4" to 7/8" with no patterning. When it became apparent that the CFE load was "the one" i actually let someone else (gasp) shoot the remaining 10 ARCs I had made. I think the ARC is going to be tried next in the 22 Nosler. I got the 70 gr RDFs going up to 3050 with CFE but the variance wasn't there. Won't have the case fill issues with 22 Nosler and maybe the cool burning will help with the case head abuse.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• nismosao
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2017

Glad to see your JP is shooting great. I've still only been able to make it once with mine, with less than optimal results, but I was shooting 123 SST. Will be trying the Hornady Blacks next.

Comment

• shooter545
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2012

Slick looking rifle! I think you have a winner.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Greywyrm christened the Eagle Valley Rod & Gun Clubs new 16"er at 1016...

On the first shot!

Previously the farthest we could go was a 12"er at 900. Was able to find a flat spot on an outcropping about a month ago and was able to get a general idea of a route doing some repairs on the hill about a week and a half ago. Finally gathered the muster and strapped a 1/2" thick 16" square slab of steel to the top bar of a Campmor external frame backpack purchased for $99 in 1994. Tied a Rouge Large Swinging Gong Stand on the bottom of the frame. It took 2 hours to get there from the bottom of the hill 200 yards from the firing line - 930 ft of elevation gain, across several steep ravines with soft gypsum soil and loose rock. I realized pretty quickly that I hung the target on my pack way to high (just used the hanging strap) but there was no turning back. With a 51 year old "really, I should stop smoking" body, I felt like Gollum scurrying up the hillside the last 200 yards - "my precious (1k target), my precious (1k target).....

image.jpeg

Was 10:15 when I got back to the firing line after a 7am start. Took about 30 minutes to relax and make sure the dog got enough water before banishing him in the truck in the shade on the other side of the clubhouse. Checked environmentals (humidity was 37% on the bench and 49% in my hand -lol) and lased to confirm distance and the 13% angle. Set up Greywyrm and took a 350 to warm up the barrel. Moved to one at 450 and one at 750 to make sure everything was in order. Bypassed the 12"ers at 800 and 900 and got right to it.

Reticle holdover at 9.9 mils (easy with the H59 with the long line at 10 mils). Dialed back to 14x to assure I kept sight picture. 3 mph wind? Takes a lot more than that to get juniper and pinion to move, but that's what the tape on a pole at 460 was saying. Set, square, 1st stage take up, all good, let her fly. 1.6 seconds later it danced. I fist pumped and the only other guy there looked at me like I was smoking crack. 4.5 seconds after release a resound "dong" filled the air (the steep rocky hillside does a great job of bouncing sound back). Upon inspection at 30x, I just caught the lower right corner. If it was a 14" square, it probably would have been a miss. But it is 16".

The moral of the story? Hunting season is around the corner. And everyone is starting to show up with their 300 winmags and 7mm remmags and 300 weatherbys and their pick a number super duper ultra mags. They pull a lead sled and box of bricks out of their truck and are lucky to shoot a 2" 3 shot group at 100. A guy sat next to me Sunday with a 7mm Remmag and went 0 for 20 on 8" at 350. I guess they need the power because chances are they'll probably hit the elk they're shooting at in the @ss. But they get lucky every now and then and it is impossible to keep steel hanging out to 250 yds. There's even a guy with a Savage Stealth 338LM who took out the rebar crossbar hanging a life size steel turkey on an 6" chain at 240 yards (snapped the rebar in half!) So a lot of big chunks of lead are going to get launched up the hill. Hopefully if they get close, they don't take out a leg or the crossbar. There's a couple of 6.5 CM bolt guys who should hit it as well as a 6.5 - 284 guy. The guy with the 26" 7mm WSM with a TB9 damn well better get it.

But the first shot ever at the first 1000 yd target at a gun club that has been around for a very long time (and the only 1000 yd target that I'm aware of in a 120 mile radius) was a hit. With an AR-15 chambered with a mousy little round known as 6.5 Grendel.
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

The club ought to note that little fact.

Awesome job.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• carlhwv
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2017

Great story Stonehenge.....the picture is bright in my eyes. Pretty work.
                            Carl
                            NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
                            Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
                            Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• nismosao
                              Unwashed
                              • May 2017

Extremely jealous of where you get to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X