• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwilkins
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Suppressed Grendel's

Been a while since I have been on the site but thought I would share. For those of you that may not know, Thunderbeast is now taking orders for their new 6.5 line of suppressors. Two models in the Ultra series. A 7" version that is supposed to be quieter than the current 30 cal Ultra 9 and a 9" version that is to be an estimated 2 -3 db quieter than the 7" model. Currently, my Grendel is sporting a 30CB9 with an Ultra 9 due to be released from jail next month. The CB9 is remarkably quiet as is so I am pretty stoked to put the Ultra 9 on it. Looks like the new 6.5 will be on order soon as well. TBAC is about 8 weeks out on shipping due to trying to get production numbers up.
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

7" sound reduction with a 260 is great if doing a Grendel itd have to be tremendous id think. I'd probably guess in the 300blk subsonic that some cans can do.

12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• keystone183
      Warrior
      • Mar 2013

Also am waiting on an ultra 7. But in the mean time, i have been looking at the new SAS Barricade. Anybody have any info on it?

Also, for those of you with TBAC cans, can you comment on their backpressure? Preferably compared to other cans on the same gun? Thanks!

Comment

• mwilkins
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2014

Running several different TBAC cans right now on both semi-auto and bolt action configurations. With a 30CB9 on the Grendel, there are no issues with a 24" barrel. In fact, there is not even an adjustable gas block on this rig. Running another TBAC can on a .223 build with a 20" barrel. This build does have an adjustable gas block but honestly, the difference between open and pinched is minimal. The Bolt gun is a .338 build with a 30" barrel. With the can, it is more of a push on recoil and very manageable. In all fairness though, the .338 build comes just under 26 lbs in weight so it doesn't move much. Unfortunately to answer your question, the only other brand of can that I run is Silencerco and it is on a small caliber long gun and all of the TBAC cans are brake attached so without removing the brake, nothing else is going on.

Comment

• Macht
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2013

These are pretty neat, but I'm not sure the extra 2-4 decibels of reduction is worth the decrease in versatility. Given, I'm approaching it for the view of someone who doesn't have the coin to have a dedicated can for each rifle. For someone who only runs 6.5 and under though, this definitely offers the SAS Barricade some competition.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

The Ultra series of cans are extremely lightweight, let alone quiet.

When you hold the Ultras in your hand, it feels like a little .22 can, but is in fact one of the most durable, quiet, and concentric cans on the market.

I was blown away when I felt how light the Ultra 7 is. This new line-up of 6.5mm cans is just icing on the cake.

Also look at what load they were using with the .260 Rem: 43gr of RL17 under a 139gr Scenar, which is a very stout load. Pressure on the can will be substantial, yet they have tested the Ultra 7 on an 18" .300 Win Mag with no failures of the can at all after 1800rds.

On a Grendel, these will purr like a pussycat.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lead chucker
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              The Ultra series of cans are extremely lightweight, let alone quiet.

When you hold the Ultras in your hand, it feels like a little .22 can, but is in fact one of the most durable, quiet, and concentric cans on the market.

I was blown away when I felt how light the Ultra 7 is. This new line-up of 6.5mm cans is just icing on the cake.

Also look at what load they were using with the .260 Rem: 43gr of RL17 under a 139gr Scenar, which is a very stout load. Pressure on the can will be substantial, yet they have tested the Ultra 7 on an 18" .300 Win Mag with no failures of the can at all after 1800rds.

I can hardly wait... and waiting is what im doing! COME ON TBAC! I hope to have my ultra 7 by February 2016. From everything I have seen and heard these should be awesome on what ever you decide to put them on. I cant wait to feel the difference between it and my cyclone on my 12" grendel.

Comment

• superslack
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2015

Except for the noise coming out the ejection port, which is usually louder at the shooters ear than most think (>140 dB). I am basing that number off of 5.56 measurements at the shooters ear. I haven't seen that data taken on a suppressed Grendel.

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by superslack View Post
                  Except for the noise coming out the ejection port, which is usually louder at the shooters ear than most think (>140 dB). I am basing that number off of 5.56 measurements at the shooters ear. I haven't seen that data taken on a suppressed Grendel.
                  Some cans are quieter at the shooter ear than the muzzle. Just depends on how the can was engineered. If looking at SAS colonial arms in NH is a huge dealer for SAS cans.
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by superslack View Post
                    I've seen that on AK's, but not so much on quality cans on AR's. I've shot a lot of suppressor types on M4's and AR's, to include many that can't be imported into the US.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• K280
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

I was at a long range shoot at the first of the month using a 30P-1 on my Grendel. Another shooter had a CB9 on a bolt gun .260. His gun was a LOT quieter than my Grendel even though there is not much difference in the two cans. I have a RPR in 6.5 CM on order. Can't wait to see how quiet it is compared to the Grendel. I have a Harvester too, not a lot of difference between it and the TBAC except it is 6 oz lighter.

If I were in the market for another 30 cal can, it would be the Ultra 7 or 9.

Comment

• mwilkins
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2014

Currently running a CB9 on my Grendel with a 24" barrel and it is pretty damn quiet. I have an Ultra 9 that I am expecting the stamp to come in next week hopefully. If it makes it in, I will make a video using both cans on the Grendel for comparison.

Comment

• 204 AR
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2015

K280, how do you like that Harvester? I liked the looks of it, and it has a pretty attractive price point. I was curious if accuracy seemed better, 1 vs the other.

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

Unless the mic on the camera is of excellent quality. Ray Sanchez with a 6.5 Ultra on a Grendel
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• lamrith
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

I've seen that on AK's, but not so much on quality cans on AR's. I've shot a lot of suppressor types on M4's and AR's, to include many that can't be imported into the US.
                              Sort of guessing here, but would an adjustable gas block most likely help with noise at the shooter by choking down the extra gas that a can normally forces out the gas system?
                              Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                              18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                              SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                              16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                              Anderson Pistol lower:
                              16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                              6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

Working...
                              X