Need to Reduce Recoil!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Reduce Recoil!!!!

Okay, so this may not be urgent, but I really am calling out all of the experts of 6.5 Grendel forum to help solve this problem.

How would one go about building the lowest recoil Grendel/556 AR possible?
    I need specific names of parts and manufacturers.
    I have heard about recoil reducing buffers and that certain muzzle breaks help.
    So please my fellow gun enthusiasts, enlighten me

With utmost sincerity, Brodady.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Probably the most effective break out there is the jp howetzer brake http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.phpl if you combine that with a heavy barrel with an adjustable gas block and one of the and a prs stock with and Jp captive recoil spring if your looking to carry it into the woods the howetzer brake is less than ideal
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Michael
      Warrior
      • Jan 2012

Brodady - I use an Enidine buffer and Millennium Compensator. Both are available from Alexander Arms. I noticed a difference with the buffer, ordered the upper with the compensator installed so cannot comment on how it works by itself. My recoil (as measured by my shoulder) is slightly more than my AR-15 carbine but still fun to put a lot of rounds down range.

Good Luck.
      I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
      - Voltaire

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Im running a ACC cyclone suppressor on mine and there is little felt recoil. Yes I know some people are not going to go buy a suppressor for recoil but you asked. I got mine for my blackout and run it on my grendel also. Its better than the JP brake I had on it though!

Comment

I dont have a brake on mine its just crowned. I have an A2 buffer and a Tubbs flat wire spring. You can shoot all day long it doesnt hurt and barely moves. My gun is a heavy barreled gun though.

Comment

What is the intended use of your Grendel project? That will determine which route you go for recoil reduction. The MGI RRB is a great buffer as well, combined with an adjustable gas block.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Build the rifle heavy, then use reduced / starting loads, with lighter bullets and faster burning powders.

Rifle-length gas system and rifle-length buffer system will allow for smoother function and less violent action.

MGI buffer works reasonably well (although at a relatively expensive price).

Various muzzle devices work well, but the trade off is increased noise and blast, which will cause many people to flinch more so than the recoil itself.
              Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Recoil reduction in an AR is handled in one of four ways, or some combination of those 4:

1) Muzzle brake, multiple different versions. The tank brake variations are the most effective, and also the most obnoxious to others around.

2) Adjustable gas port.

3) Bolt Carrier group weights, Buffer and spring weighting. (All listed together because they are part of the same system, but could be taken individually.)

4) Rifle weight. Heavy rifles require more recoil to move them, (that whole mass thing, you know).

My target Grendel runs a heavy BCG, Tubbs weighting system, and Tubbs flat spring. I don't run a muzzle brake because most competitions I shoot don't allow them. I plan on adding an adjustable gas block.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. It is much appreciated! And say I wanted to build a low recoil multipurpose rifle, one that would be light enough to use in a "tactical", "battle rifle" role but yet something that would be capable of hitting the far away targets. A 16" or 18" maybe??

My idea would be to use the flat spring and a different buffer? I don't imagine going the heavy barrel route would work out in terms of hauling it around for long periods of time.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I would then consider an 18", medium contour, definitely with an adjustable gas block. You can tame the gas system pretty well just with the adjustable block, which will reduce the impact of secondary felt recoil from the operating sytem.

I really like the MGI RRB, which might work really well with the flat wire spring from Tubbs.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      I would then consider an 18", medium contour, definitely with an adjustable gas block. You can tame the gas system pretty well just with the adjustable block, which will reduce the impact of secondary felt recoil from the operating sytem.

I really like the MGI RRB, which might work really well with the flat wire spring from Tubbs.
                      Okay, stay with me here ...so these adjustable gas blocks we speak of, these are for DI gas systems right?

Comment

Yes. DI systems use the adjustable gas block, but op-rod driven weapons such as the FAL have adjustable gas blocks too. An op-rod driven AR has totally different handling characteristics than a DI gun.

The DI gun has a straight, rapid snap to the rear, in-line with the bore and heel of the butt.

The op-rod guns have a top-heavy push or snap, causing more muzzle climb off target, unless you really muscle them. They also need a different bolt carrier that will fight the carrier tilt problem, different gas port dimensions, and a laundry list of tweaks to get them to work.

I have worked with the 10" and 16" HK416's, and the 16" feels totally different in recoil impulse than the 10". The 10" feels like a 7.62x39 AKSU with hot loads.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Yes. DI systems use the adjustable gas block, but op-rod driven weapons such as the FAL have adjustable gas blocks too. An op-rod driven AR has totally different handling characteristics than a DI gun.

The DI gun has a straight, rapid snap to the rear, in-line with the bore and heel of the butt.

The op-rod guns have a top-heavy push or snap, causing more muzzle climb off target, unless you really muscle them. They also need a different bolt carrier that will fight the carrier tilt problem, different gas port dimensions, and a laundry list of tweaks to get them to work.

I have worked with the 10" and 16" HK416's, and the 16" feels totally different in recoil impulse than the 10". The 10" feels like a 7.62x39 AKSU with hot loads.
                          Ahhh, okay. Much thanks.
                          I will look into your suggestions for sure.

Comment

Add a stainless steel suppressor with adjustable gas block. Besides dampening the recoil, the concussion stops, too. The noise of course decreases as well. You will need an adjustable gas block as it will be over-gassed. Concussion has always been the main thing causing me to flinch.

Comment

Working...
                            X