• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mseric
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

X 39 vs Grendel Brass

For those of you that use or have used 7.62 x 39 converted brass.

My x 39 Brass has less capacity then my true Grendel brass, so working up loads is a little more involved then just following published data.

In general, how many grains do you reduce the powder charge compared to reduction in case capacity per grain?

For example, My Grendel brass has 36.6gr H20, My converted IMI x 39 brass has 33.6gr H20 capacity.

BTW, I was cleaning my reloading room and found two (2) 1000 ea, bags of new IMI x 39 brass and I plan to convert a lot of it to Grendel.

Thanks.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Most guys drop the suggested Grendel brass load by 2-3 grains and work from there.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Unreal, mseric, you're back from the spam attack!

Let's shoot again at our fave gravel pit!

Bill, W. Yes --always drop the charge down at least 4.0 grns. As A Start point.,, Safety is the key here, its a pain to dial these in.

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

My WW fireformed cases were 2 grains water capacity less than the Lapua cases. I only got about 4 total loads in them counting FFing before the primer pockets opened up. I remember hearing when I started loading for the Grendel in 09 that the IMI cases were made by Lapua.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have some Lap- ak brass here- rasper- you need some? It's not too good on longetivity tho...

Comment

• mseric
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2014

It's my understanding that IMI (Israeli Military Industries) is mad by the Israeli Military.?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mseric View Post
              It's my understanding that IMI (Israeli Military Industries) is mad by the Israeli Military.?
              Spec'd for them. No one has admitted to making the brass, but Lapua, Norma, and Privi Partizan have all been rumored.

Comment

• mseric
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Spec'd for them. No one has admitted to making the brass, but Lapua, Norma, and Privi Partizan have all been rumored.
                I have both IMI and Lapua, I'm going to do a little testing and see what shakes out.

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Thanks S1 but I think I am done with X39. I will use the ones I have 1 more time at my Alamo.

Comment

• rasp65
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mseric View Post
                    I have both IMI and Lapua, I'm going to do a little testing and see what shakes out.
                    I think a simple hardness test around the case head would show if it is PPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X