• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newb
    Warrior
    • Feb 2015

Assembled

It's assembled. Haven't sent any lead down range yet.

Still needing a bipod and figuring up a Cerakote design for it.

One of these days I'll upgrade the glass and get some 45 deg iron sights.

Timney trigger
    JP Silent capture buffer
    ARP 20" barrel with 800 series bolt & extension
    Mega billet upper and lower, 14" hand guard
    Vortex Crossfire II scope 4 x 12 x 50
    Magpul UBR
    BCM Mod 1 grip
    approx. 10 lbs (weighed me on digital scale, then me with rifle on scale.)

Last edited by newb; 04-15-2015, 02:01 AM. Reason: spellling, added more info
  • danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Me likey, now we need a range report!

Comment

• Big J
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2015

Excellent looking rifle. How do ya like that grip compared to say a Magpul Miad?

Comment

• newb
        Warrior
        • Feb 2015

Watering and grass knee high in the field, so I'm waiting until mine and a friends sched aligns to go shoot at his place. Not sure when that will happen....

Big J-

I've never tried a Magpul grip. The option of a larger backstrap would be great.

In "mechanix" gloves I use an XXL so a bigger grip than the BCM would be nice. I tried some "Ergo" grips and liked the size to them. But the reason I went with the BCM is due to the closer to a natural wrist position angle they have, different from any others I've gotten to hold so far.

Comment

• 65Whelen
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Nice set-up, look forward to a range report. How do you like the Vortex and what power is that? I'm thinking of more power, maybe going to the Vortex 4-16x50 HS model but the price on the Crossfire is pretty attractive.

Comment

• newb
            Warrior
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
            Nice set-up, look forward to a range report. How do you like the Vortex and what power is that? I'm thinking of more power, maybe going to the Vortex 4-16x50 HS model but the price on the Crossfire is pretty attractive.
            4x12 x 50.

It was a hard toss-up between it and the similar priced Leopold I was looking at. I liked the view through the Leopold better, but it didn't have any BDC ability.

I've had others comment how good a view it is. -sigh, no plinking yet, just checking out the build.

Past about 6 power it gets finicky on eye relief distance; it's more critical to have an optimal distance or else the asymmetrical dark edge and general cloudiness is easier to occur.

Their formula for calculating distance with their hashmarks seems to be pretty good. I tried it close as about 30 yds looking at quail out to about 600 yds looking at a wood power pole. Wouldn't be a prob to clearly see and get crosshairs on a predator at that distance... have to actually get some real-world measured bullet drop data on targets to figure out BDC adjustments.

Definitely get me by just fine until I upgrade; even if it takes a year or three.

Not shown in pic, but I have a Streamlight TLR-1 HPL on it (775 lumens, not green). 150 yds and no problem if I needed to light up a 'yote and see the surrounding very good... in an open field. Add in heavy a moisture night, some bushes, trees, and that extends beyond the capabilities of the light and scope.

Might hike through the hay/grass field and set up a bull the next day or so. The boss was prodding me to do that this eve. Ya'll know how that goes; what the boss wants, the boss gets....

Comment

• newb
              Warrior
              • Feb 2015

Bad news.

Chamber needs reamed.

Went to sight it in and it would jam upon trying to chamber a round. The last 1/8" to 1/4" was way too tight. Hornady AMAX.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by newb View Post
                Bad news.

Chamber needs reamed.

Went to sight it in and it would jam upon trying to chamber a round. The last 1/8" to 1/4" was way too tight. Hornady AMAX.
                Interesting, and I'm sorry for that. I'll be following what ARP has to say.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Before coming to that conclusion, check the extractor spring strength. It could be really tight and just not snapping over the cartridge.

Also, check the ejector that it isn't binding inside the channel, or filled with debris.

Is the ejector radiused?

If the barrel was melonited, it will eat a reamer.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• newb
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2015

From remembering, ARP chambers a little tight.

ARP mentioned about the diameter of the Hornady AMAX cases. They said I could ship the barrel back and they would polish the chamber.

Hornady SST will fully chamber and bolt locks.

I didn't fire it though. To get it to manually eject needed some extra assistance = it was stuck.

I measured the cases and sure enough, there is a 0.0005" difference through the entire taper between the two cartridges. (measured at several radial locations along the 2 casings). Not a large value, but that is making the diff between chambering and binding with not allowing full chambering.

At this point in time, I think it will be fine with a chamber polishing.
                    Last edited by newb; 04-17-2015, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• newb
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2015

Well.... I did a bunch of polishing myself. Better but still no-go. I spun the round in the chamber to see what the scoop was, and got a ring line on the case.

I did a quick case taper profile measurement and find the case to have a reasonably linear taper.

I'm thinking the issue is the chamber. Aside from being a tight chamber, I have the suspicion that who ever does their barrels for them has a flawed chamber cutter.

Sending that one back for refund and ordered a JP.

Darn.... I really wanted a 4150 barrel.

Maybe in the future I'll do another with an AA barrel; if AA will sell just he barrel and bolt.

Comment

Working...
                      X