• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeteDavis
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Best Brass Catcher?

Looking, that brass is sometimes hard to find and expensive.

Thanks in advance-PD
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

This is expensive but well worth it. Get a Tactical Brass Recovery brass catcher.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

I have three.

In order of preference...

Picatinny mounted brass catcher (favorite because it is solid and always keeps clear of ejection port) Cons: Spendier, and needs an additional rail mount for each weapon you use it on, unless you move the bracket around.

Velcro mounted brass catcher (cheaper and more flexible since it can mount to any AR w/o an adaptor) Cons: Always seem to be re-adjusting this to keep the ejection port clear.

Stand-alone net (great for rifle or pistol) Cons: Seldom gets used anymore because it is a hassle to adjust if I change shooting positions.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Best bang for the buck!

Caldwell AR-15 Brass Catcher Nylon Mesh Black

Product #:*269873Caldwell #:*122231UPC #:

$9.99

List Price: $12.99Save $3.00

The Caldwell AR-15 Brass Catcher features a hook and loop band that goes around the handguard or free float tube and a wire frame that holds the mesh bag up to the ejection port. The Caldwell AR-15 Brass Catcher is great for those who reload and want to save their brass.

Technical Information:*Caldwell AR-15 Brass Catcher

Bag Length:*9"*
        Bag Width:*5"*

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

I have the rail mount Caldwell and it works really good.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Ditto what NugginFutz said. I have all three types (except for the stand-alone net, I have the CTK model http://www.midwayusa.com/product/942..._vc=subv942827 ). I also prefer them in the same order and for the same reasons as he said. And now that Caldwell makes an extra rail mount, although pricey, it's easier to move the bag from gun to gun and leave the mount in place. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/947..._vc=sugv947084

When I am doing load development, I catch and examine each piece of brass for pressure signs and with the zipper open on the rail mount Caldwell net, the fired cartridge usually drops straight down onto my bench top for easy pickup and examination.
            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• GarandThumb
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2015

Another +1 for the Caldwell Picatinny rail mount. I picked mine up a couple of months ago when Midway had them on sale for $25. It's worked flawlessly.

Comment

• dammitman
                Warrior
                • Dec 2012

I mow the grass real short where i have a bench set. Its like a golf green right there. Still lose several every time.

Comment

• MountainCur
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2015

I am actually making my own. The Caldwell Velcro one is cheap and I've found it causes malfunctions unless you go ahead and weave some wire in it to make it stand up more. There are several others that are pretty good, but extremely spendy. A friend of mine has bought nearly every one. So I've been able to try them out. The problem I've found with most of them is mounting them in a way that allows me to keep my configuration of my scope and sights. Non of them are in that Goldilocks zone. So I figured I'd make my own to specifically fit my grendel.

Two weeks ago I did a proof of concept build and it works. Uglier than sin but functional. So now I'm currently making the "Mountain Cur Brass Catcher 2.0". This one is going to be nicer looking and ceracoated to match my rifle.

So, long story short if it is made by man you can make it too. I'll try to post pictures when I'm done.

Comment

• Slappy
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2014

This is the best for the money. No malfunctions at ALL, the best money I spent was on this one!!! I have it mounted on my rifle and it has stayed there. Besides that is looks cool. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• stevegun 1
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2014

Try "Catch Your Brass" in your search engine. Lee is a great guy, it's just he and his wife and the units are made in the USA! I have two of the Range models, they fold flat and will fit in your rifle case or range bag. They are adjustable and will fit on a pic or weaver rail.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

The $10 Caldwell/Brownells one's work if you cut a piece of Corflute to fit the inside of the bag and tape it in place. As long as you have a bit of space over the ejection port to stop the odd case bouncing back inside and jamming.

Same thing Moutaincur's talking about but with plastic instead of wire.

Had to go looking for this thing in storage as I don't really use them.
                        Last edited by Klem; 04-18-2015, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• PeteDavis
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2015

Thanks to all.

PD

Comment

• ricsmall
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

Seems there was a guy on here a year or two ago building some really nice brass catchers, they were pricey tho. I just got one of the QD caldwells, it will b great as long as ur scope doesn't have a very large turret. Seems the guy I'm thinking of may have been dismissed from the site. A few trouble makers came in within a few months of each other, IIRC.

RICHARD
                            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Slappy
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2014

Here is a picture of the TBR folded up. The range guy likes it because when he walks by all he does is have to look in the space or lightly move it outwards (it gives a little) and he keeps on moving. Never have to take it off except to clean. They are worth the money and you never have to mess with it. Set it and forget it. They do not weigh anything at all. BANG BANG!!

DSCN0061.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X