• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

NRA "compromising" with the ATF???

Anybody else hear anything about this?

I just ran across it. I can't attest to it's veracity, but it seemed important enough to bring up.

"From the press room of the NRA National Meeting, Nashville, TN: Sipsey Street Irregulars can now confirm the broad outlines of a story first disclosed two days ago by National Gun Rights Examiner columnist David Codrea. Last week, a secret deal involving the National Rifle Association lobbying arm and brokered by politicians of both national political parties was struck in Washington DC that would save the ATF from the political and legal consequences of its own regulatory errors. In the process, this deal would broaden the language of the 1968 Gun Control Act regarding "sporting purposes" and allow ATF to extract itself from the potentially catastrophic political damage of enforcing its arbitrary ruling that makes every owner of a pistol grip 12 Gauge shotgun like the Mossberg Cruiser a felon in possession of a "destructive device" subject to the penalties of the National Firearms Act of 1934 -- currently up to 10 years in federal prison and a quarter million dollar fine."

Apparently they want to ban "specialty ammo imports, including tracer ammo as well.

The increased regulatory authority is the red flag for me. Something smells here.

The whole post is here:

Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I still can't find enough to know if this story is legit, or just a made-up smear.... I don't want to fling poo at the NRA if it's untrue. I also dang sure want to know if it is true. It really ticks me off that I even have to wonder about it.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Well it wouldn't be unprecedented for the NRA.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• deer hunter
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2014

The only common ground I can find with the A_TF is that we agree to disagree. Worthless organization in my opinion.

Comment

• Everrest
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2011

David Codrea has covered this also.
          David Codrea and Mike V. were responsible for breaking the Fast and Furious/ Project Gunwalker story. NRA-ILA has denied the discussions without comment, but the NRA is a big organization.

Earlier today we saw someone come up with a good synopsis of the core issue. For a more detailed analysis, you can go here , scroll down ...

The rest of the entry, on what this source does not know, is not an issue for this piece of the puzzle. I just wanted to establish that the central element of the reports posted to date -- the issue and who is cognizant of it -- is backed by independent claims. And yes, I have that attorney's name and no, he no longer works for them. And if you don't know who is making this claim, and his bona fides, and if you find the vague way this is written confusing, understand that I have to carefully consider what I filter through for public (and official) consumption right now.
          http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogsp...ally-deny.htmlMore at links.
          After days of seeking comment from NRA representatives on David Codrea's breaking story and my follow-up, I had given up getting any official reaction. However, yesterday afternoon on the way out of the NRA national meeting display floor on my way to the car, Dean Weingarten (who blogs at Gun Watch) and I ran into Chris Cox and his entourage.
          I approached him, shook his hand, introduced myself, and asked him for comment on my story. He ceased smiling when he realized who I was, dropped my hand like a hot rock, flushed red in the face, and said: "I categorically deny everything that you wrote with regards to that. It's complete bullshit." I replied, "We stand by our story, and if you feel we have libeled you, you are welcome to sue me." He then turned and stalked off. He was extremely angry.
          The whole thing happened totally unexpectedly, like a meeting engagement in deep jungle, and unfortunately as I leaped in and gave him no warning to begin filming, Dean had some trouble getting the camera into play. Thus we missed getting a video record of the preamble and then the camera cuts off just as I said "We stand by our story." However, the operative words of Mr. Cox were captured on this snippet below.
          (Video courtesy of Dean Weingarten.)
          Thus, we now have an official response from NRA. However, I repeat here what I told him then: WE STAND BY OUR STORY.
          Last edited by Everrest; 04-22-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• usar_ds
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2014

been wondering about this for over a week now. I guess we'll know when things play out or dont play out like the article says.

really hoping its not true
            Last edited by usar_ds; 04-23-2015, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X