• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Build me a hunting Grendel

I'm new to what looks to be the exciting world of the Grendel. I'm looking to an alternative to my 308 bolt carbine that has served me well for over 30 years as my main deer rifle. In considering a build, I have a short list compiled. Let me know what you would change/choose and why.

I am hunting areas that will allow me an occasional 400-450 yrd shot

Barrel: 16" or 18" Walther from Precision, nitrided, target crowned or brake, fluted.
    Handguard: AP Custom Gen II Ultra Light Carbon Fiber
    Upper: Undecided. Standard forged? Billet? Side charger?
    Lower: Undecided. Possibly one of my standard forged I already have
    LPK: Standard, + KNS pins, + Timney 3# skeleton
    Stock: Undecided. Maybe something similar to Magpul CTR
    Optics: Would really like a Vortex

What about mixing a billet upper with a forged lower?
    Last edited by 1075 tech; 05-07-2015, 12:43 AM.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Welcome to the horde! The grendle has replaced all of my magnum bolt guns. I couldnt be happier.

I cant help with your build but you have come to the right place.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 65Whelen
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

If the 400-450yd shot is the exception, I'd go with the 16" barrel. I like Vortex but for my hunter I went with the Leupold mostly because of weight advantage. The rest of your list looks pretty solid.

Here's a link to my hunter, since finishing it(lol, it's never finished) I replaced the Larue Scope mt with an Aero Ultra Lightweight Mt and the Magpul ACS with a BattleLink buttstock an additional 10oz weight saving. I also swapped out the upper with a Rainier forged upper w/o forward assist maybe saved another oz.
      Just finished this up. Like the title says 7 pounds even with the scope. Now to get it out see how it shoots. Upper: 14.5" Sabre Barrel w/Smith Vortex Flash Hider, 16.25" pinned & welded YHM two piece gas block AA upper AP Custom 12" Carbon Fiber Handguard BCM Bolt Carrier PF Bolt Lower: YHM lower Palmetto
      Last edited by 65Whelen; 05-06-2015, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• 81police
        Warrior
        • Feb 2013

I'd highly recommend taking a look at JP Rifles (http://www.jprifles.com/). They are known for their custom side charger uppers too.

Below is a link to what my 18" Grendel looks & shoots like. I use this exclusively for hog and whitetail here in Texas...and this gun has dropped a lot of meat.

Hey guys, I use this JP Enterprise Grendel primarily for hog hunting, but I took it out last December just to see what it would do off a bench at 100 yards (sorry I'm just now getting around to posting). And listen, I'm no target shooter, the accuracy is in the rifle & ammo trust me! The barrel is a JP reverse contoured
        John 11:25-26

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have read where hunters liked uppers with forward assist to help in quietly chambering a round. Your sitting in your stand and a trophy buck walks into view. You put your thumb on the safety and it won't move. The safety acts like a cocking indicator on an AR-15. If you can't move the safety selector you probably don't have a round chambered. You chamber a round by pulling the charging handle and letting it slam home, it creates a good bit of noise.

Just something to know if you haven't used an AR-15 extensively. I know you can save weight by eliminating the forward assist and dust cover but you just have to be familiar with your equipment and use accordingly.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-06-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
            I'm new to what looks to the exciting world of the Grendel. I'm looking to an alternative to my 308 bolt carbine that has served me well for over 30 years as my main deer rifle. In considering a build, I have a short list compiled. Let me know what you would change/choose and why.

I am hunting areas that will allow me an occasional 400-450 yrd shot

Barrel: 16" or 18" Walther from Precision, nitrided, target crowned or brake, fluted.
            If you're not putting a suppressor on her I'd go with the 18". I wouldn't worry about a brake. You'll probably be surprised at how tamed the Grendel is compared to your .308.
            Handguard: AP Custom Gen II Ultra Light Carbon Fiber
            Upper: Undecided. Standard forged? Billet? Side charger?
            I'd go with a standard billet. I'm partial to the Spike's SAR3 setup.
            Lower: Undecided. Possibly one of my standard forged I already have
            LPK: Standard, + KNS pins, + Timney 3# skeleton
            Stock: Undecided. Maybe something similar to Magpul CTR
            Optics: Would really like a Vortex
            The 2.5-10x32 PST would be hard to beat for your hunting rig.

What about mixing a billet upper with a forged lower?
            My hunting rig. It's a billet upper on a forged lower.
            I set out to build a 16" Grendel back in the spring of 2013. Not to spoil the ending, it seems to have been well worth the wait. This rifle truly has been a long time coming. It took me down a journey that saw many detours and evolutions. Initially it was set to be a standard Templar barrel built around a seekins billet
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• 65Whelen
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              I have read where hunters liked uppers with forward assist to help in quietly chambering a round. Your sitting in your stand and a trophy buck walks into view. You put your thumb on the safety and it won't move. The safety acts like a cocking indicator on an AR-15. If you can't move the safety selector you probably don't have a round chambered. You chamber a round by pulling the charging handle and letting it slam home, it creates a good bit of noise.

Just something to know if you haven't used an AR-15 extensively. I know you can save weight by eliminating the forward assist and dust cover but you just have to be familiar with your equipment and use accordingly.
              I guess I feel the need to defend my choice of no forward assist. VASCAR2, I respectfully disagree and IMHO think the forward assist on a Modern Sporting Rifle is unnecessary. But rather than steal 1075's thread I'll start another thread to discuss the merits of the forward assist.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I can see the advantage of a side charger upper on a hunting or bench rifle. I was trying to show how your choice of upper might be noticed in the field. Obviously the manual of arms is quite different for an AR-15 compared to a bolt action 308.

Comment

• lamrith
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                  I guess I feel the need to defend my choice of no forward assist. VASCAR2, I respectfully disagree and IMHO think the forward assist on a Modern Sporting Rifle is unnecessary. But rather than steal 1075's thread I'll start another thread to discuss the merits of the forward assist.
                  No need to defend, just difference in views on it, if no FA works for you that is all that really matters! For a hunting oriented/purpose built gun I tend to agree with Vascar and for the very reason he stated.

With all the gear we tend to wear hunting these days, safeties could get flipped to fire and triggers snagged on webbing, straps etc so I know a number of guys that will not chamber a round when hiking, glassing or just sitting in a tree stand. No big deal for bolt gun, as you can slowly cycle the bolt. For an AR the bolt needs to snap forward fast or the lugs will not fully lock in. That is a noisey proposition. FA will let you ride the charge handle forward, then use the FL to lock the bolt in. Side charger you can cycle slow just like a bolt action and push forward to lock it in. IMHO that is why I would only run those two and went with a FA upper on my hunting grendel.
                  Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                  18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                  SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                  16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                  Anderson Pistol lower:
                  16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                  6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• 1075 tech
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                    Don't worry about stealing my thread. Discussion is why I'm here. To learn what others have and their reasons for it. My 5.56 build has a F/A but I don't think I've ever used it. My LR-308 is a slick side and looks kind of naked.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post

I cant help with your build but you have come to the right place.
                      You CAN help. PM me for a routing and account number to send donations

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

I went with a forged lower and billet upper. My thoughts were the billet upper would improve accuracy. Be sure and square the upper, if it isn't already square to the bore of the upper.

Good luck

Comment

• 1075 tech
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2015

So, a long time coming but have finally started my first Grendel build. Standard forged lower from Anderson. Velocity 3# trigger. KNS trigger/hammer pins. Hogue grip. Standard mil-spec LPK.

Still need to decide on a stock.

Looking at uppers. A little bigger and heavier than I need/want but readily available is an AA 20" Entry with Millennium brake. If anyone has opinions on this, let me know. LGS is asking $799 complete.

I also want the group buy 16" if it goes through, but I still have another lower I can put together and have two.

Doesn't look like I'll have it for this season but next year for sure.

Comment

• Lightning8
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2015

I just finished an antelope hunt in Wyoming with my Grendel. Shot a 150lb antelope at lased 260 yards with factory Hornady 6.5 Grendel 123 SST. My rig is Sabre OEM upper with forward assist, unknown brand aluminum freefloat handguard and 20 inch Sabre fluted SS barrel with WCI compensator mated to a lower I built from Anderson stripped lower with ACE rifle stock. I used the Primary Arms 4x14 ACSS reticle scope. Observations - 1) I used the forward assist to insure round was fully seated; 2) will trim some more weight off rig - probably switch to a AERO Precision ultralight scope mount, may take off the WCI comp (but it shoots so well hate to change), may switch to a carbon handguard (again hate to mess with upper), may go with a lighter scope but will miss the ACSS reticle; 3) probably will look for another bullet that penetrates better and holds together more.

Comment

Working...
                              X