X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

Did the SST not make a clean kill with a good shot at 260 yards? I ask because I'm still looking for a better pill for hunting.

Comment

• Lightning8
      Warrior
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by jim_bob View Post
      Did the SST not make a clean kill with a good shot at 260 yards? I ask because I'm still looking for a better pill for hunting.
      My bullet placement was not perfect on first shot - hit about 3 inches too far toward middle. Antelope was still on its feet and turned its back toward me. Second shot SST went into rump area and broke back leg. Antelope went down and was dead when I got to it. When we cleaned the antelope - there was no exit would from first shot and no blood trail - all the blood was in the chest cavity. Disappointed in second shot - the SST broke leg but we recovered the core of the SST with minimal penetration and minimal retained weight.

I am a novice hunter but I think I need a bullet with better penetration and that holds together better. That said, the antelope was probably dead on its feet from the first shot.

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

Barnes TTSX or TAC-TX they are expensive to buy loaded. Cheaper if you reload, and they will do the job.
        Come in 100gr or 120 gr, or 100gr Nosler Partition, if I wanted a heavier bullet 129gr ABLR or 130gr Berger VLD Precision Firearms has all of these in box of 50 or again roll your own.
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Antelope are pretty soft targets, but so are cup and core bullets. If I were going antelope hunting, I'm not sure I would necessarily go to premium bullet.

I can blow up a 130gr .270 Core Lokt just the same, but not see the impact due to recoil, then quickly try to recover for follow-up if necessary, or just blast with Hornady factory ammo.

If you are worried about weight retention, the 129gr SST might do better for the simple reason of slower impact velocity.

If you want to go premium, you could try the new GS Customs, Barnes, Lehigh, or cut down GMX. I would shoot an antelope with a target BTHP and not think twice, to be honest. In my area, they don't let us get much closer than 400yds, and they move out quickly from that distance.

Like you said though, it was probably dead on its feet.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

There are some really good bullet for game recommendations in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks.

I personally would probably take the 123gr AMAX and roll with that for antelope.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JPShooter
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2015

LRRPF52,

Why would you take the AMAX over the SST. I ask as one who knows not the real difference, so I'm not second guessing your position but trying to understand.

Thanks!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JPShooter View Post
                LRRPF52,

Why would you take the AMAX over the SST. I ask as one who knows not the real difference, so I'm not second guessing your position but trying to understand.

Thanks!
                Either would be fine for goats. People were killing goats with the AMAX before the 123gr SST came out, and they were dying just fine, quick kills, no drama. They are small, soft animals that are pretty weak willed outside of the herd. A .22LR will put them down just fine if you can get in that close. What I'm saying is that with this animal, it doesn't really matter too much what bullet is used.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MASTARBLASTER
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post
                  My bullet placement was not perfect on first shot - hit about 3 inches too far toward middle. Antelope was still on its feet and turned its back toward me. Second shot SST went into rump area and broke back leg. Antelope went down and was dead when I got to it. When we cleaned the antelope - there was no exit would from first shot and no blood trail - all the blood was in the chest cavity. Disappointed in second shot - the SST broke leg but we recovered the core of the SST with minimal penetration and minimal retained weight.

I am a novice hunter but I think I need a bullet with better penetration and that holds together better. That said, the antelope was probably dead on its feet from the first shot.
                  I too am a novice to the Grendel horde , in fact just doing more detailed research about the terminal ballistic characteristics of the round on mid size game. Your follow up detailed description is just the type of first hand experience I am looking to learn from for more information about the Grendel 6.5.
                  Before I pull the trigger on a Grendel upper for my Colt HBAR 16" I want to be well informed about the capabilities of the cartridge.
                  Last edited by MASTARBLASTER; 10-15-2015, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post

But isn't that the design of the SST?IIRC, the Super Shock Tip was designed to allow initial penetration and then deliver all it's energy to the target. The energy is used as it enters the target which would often result in shallower penetration and massive temporary wound channel as well as early bullet deformation. It was not designed to save meat or hides and is not recommended if you are concerned with conserving those.

Disclaimer: I have neither hand loaded or personally used the SST so I could be wrong in my understanding of it.

Comment

• SG4247
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2013

Here is mine, just finishing when the SLR gas block gets here today hopefully.

Mega Billet side charge (right side only since suppressed)
                      Kies NIBX carrier
                      Bushmaster Lower
                      AR Gold Trigger (black version)
                      NF uni mount 20 MOA
                      Leopold 20x VX3
                      Shilen select match, 16" fluted, .875 at the gas block
                      264 LBC Chamber
                      MIAD grip
                      Gun Fighter Mod 3
                      YH Phantom Supressor with QD brake adapter
                      SLR adjustable gas block
                      Nitrided gas tube
                      DOA trigger guard

Thinking of sending the whole rig out for camo Hydro dip or Cerakote if it shoots to my satisfaction.

Hoopefully get to test it this week.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SG4247; 10-16-2015, 12:12 AM.
                      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Lightning8
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                        But isn't that the design of the SST?IIRC, the Super Shock Tip was designed to allow initial penetration and then deliver all it's energy to the target. The energy is used as it enters the target which would often result in shallower penetration and massive temporary wound channel as well as early bullet deformation. It was not designed to save meat or hides and is not recommended if you are concerned with conserving those.

Disclaimer: I have neither hand loaded or personally used the SST so I could be wrong in my understanding of it.
                        Yes, I sent a note to Hornady and they congratulated me on a successful hunt then pointed out that the SSTs performed just as designed. The first SST certainly delivered all its energy into the chest cavity. Second hit broke the back leg but again limited penetration. So, I guess I should have no concern with the SST. I still wonder if I need a "sturdier" bullet that penetrates more and hold together better - again, there was zero blood trail but that was because all the blood was in the chest cavity from first hit.

Comment

Working...
                        X